News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Spring skiing is like standup, timing is everything
Posted: 29 March 2012 03:39 PM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

With the avalanche risk hovering between 1 and 2 the principal risks for skiers are from falls, either on crevassed terrain due to weak snowbridges or on icy snow. There is not too much we can do about glaciers, apart from avoiding them. If you are skiing you should remember to never take both skis off at the same time on glaciated terrain, wear a harness and also be equipped with a short rope called a “longe” in French. This should be threaded through your harness and then clipped to your collar or chest strap of your ruck-sack. This is extremely handy to be able to whinch you out of a crevasse, especially where space is very tight.

Icy slopes are another thing. Over the last couple of days there have been three incidents in the French Northern Alps which remind us of the dangers. If you make a mistake in your turn you can pick up speed very quickly on hard snow. Wearing textured materials which provide friction with the snow surface and knowing how to self arrest etc. may help. Throw in a rocks, cliffs and trees and a long painful slide can turn into a drama. Timing is also important. East facing slopes may be getting too soft to ski safely by mid-morning, south facing slopes around midday whereas west facing slopes may still be icy until early afternoon. Throw in cold overnight temperatures and the surface of the snow can be icy early in the day. There is still powder to be found in couloirs, either the remains of the last snowfall or sugar snow transformed by the cold. However with a lot of strong winds over the winter the entrances and ridgelines are frequently icy and don’t be surprised to find ice further down too.

At 10h50 yesterday a British skier, aged 37 fell on the Face du Charvet near the col du Niolet. The man was carried over 2 cliff bands during his fall of 300 meters. Rescue workers including a doctor tried to resuscitate the man for over an hour. His wife and 1 year old baby are in resort. According to Radio Val d’Isere there have been 7 deaths in resort this winter. I’ll just add that none of them were in avalanches.

In the Belledonne a student fell on the north-east side of the pointe de Comberousse after making a couple of turns on icy slopes around 45°. He was carried over a rock band stopping 200 meters lower down. After giving first aid on the scene the man was heliported to Grenoble hospital by the CRS and Civil Security where he is in a critical condition.

Finally early this afternoon a ski tourer was killed after slipping on icy snow and falling over a 30 meter cliff on the Traverse Crochues-Bérard in the Aiguilles Rouges above Flegere. The man was killed instantly by the fall.

[ Edited: 29 March 2012 08:49 PM by davidof]

Posted: 30 March 2012 11:48 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-10-02

Very sorry to hear about all those incidents.

I can add that around 9.30am yesterday morning while skiing in the Monte Rosa we were intercepted by a skier whose friend had fallen and broken his arm. None of the party had mobile phones and there was no answer on the radio from the refuge above. We were able to get a signal on our phone and call for a rescue, helicopter was there within 15 minutes.

The casualty had little experience and had wanted to descend rather than continue skinning, it was very icy and the snow didn’t really soften up much at all yesterday above 3000 metres.

Posted: 31 March 2012 10:09 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-02-23

Another fatality reported, apparently due to slipping on ice and falling.

http://www.chamonet.com/reports/news/british-off-piste-skier-dies-in-chamonix.html

Does anyone have an advice about what to do when you fall, to try and stop? I fell last year in an icy couloir and after a couple of hundred metres, head first, had a short flight over a cliff and luckily landed head up plugged in soft snow like a gnome. Battered and bruised but able to ski once I had retrieved my gear. I couldn’t seem to do anything to right myself or to stop at the time. Any advice?

Posted: 03 April 2012 10:18 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2008-12-18

Just back in Vallorcine after a weeks touring. The chat in the village is that the casualty on the Crochues was actually a snow boarder and that the incident occurred early in the day before the snow had softened