This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

ski wax for touring
Posted: 02 March 2011 01:22 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-11-09

I’m struggling to find some information on waxing the skis. Had problems with skin adhesion & I’m considering a wax cream/nano wax thats a few friends have said works better than a hot wax application. Any advice guys please, can’t find much info anywhere! :(

Posted: 02 March 2011 02:02 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  544
Joined  2006-01-24

I’d be interested to know more about that. I would have thought that a hot wax had a better chance of getting into the base of the ski while anything else would be far more on the surface and far more susceptible to being ripped off by the skin glue. I thought that the problems of wax degrading quickly as it got stripped off by the skin glue and the skins needing reglueing as they picked up wax were just something you had to live with.

Incidentally, the most common “user error” with skins seems to be stretching them too far using the tail connector, I find if they’re too tight they just don’t stick and flex with the ski but you may have discovered this already.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 02 March 2011 06:36 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-11-09

well guy at local ski shop(france) puts a wax from a tube & says that’s better than than a traditional hot wax in terms of the skins not losing their adhesion ie wax sticking to skins. They use it on their ski touring hire equipment but he has run out currently so I’m just putting the question out there & any replies would be appreciated as I’m planning on a fair bit of touring this march in the montblanc area. Any recommended products etc

Posted: 02 March 2011 06:44 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  544
Joined  2006-01-24

I can’t help wondering if he needs to use a better glue grin I really don’t find my glue is loosing adhesion in a matter of days which I *think"* is what you’re saying. I must have done at least 30 odd days on the current glue and it’s fine, I’m not finding it needs reglueing more than once per season or more which is pretty much what I expect and I’m not having skins come off.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 02 March 2011 08:16 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-11-09

that a good point, I only did about 10 days touring last season as a lot of my off piste days were lift access but will be doing a bit more over the next 2 months & I’m now servicing all my skis myself (alpine & touring) so I think I will stick with the hot wax unless other people have a convincing point for these other waxs. Thanks for speedy reply, skis waxed & ready for scraping in the garage for a tour tomorrow..

Posted: 02 March 2011 10:40 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

I’ve used wax from a can, I buy it from Decathlon. However I generally hot wax but I put a microlayer on my skis which doesn’t seem to cause too many problems. KenR was round at the house last night to wax his skis and virtually turned them into church candles… maybe his non-sticking skins were a result of over waxing (he did scrape though afterwards).

Posted: 03 March 2011 08:49 PM   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2008-11-05

just don’t go using those wipes!

it’ll stop the skin from sticking for sure. not great on the first climb of a morning mid way through a multi - day tour…