This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Transceivers
Posted: 29 January 2008 11:49 AM  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-01-28

I have always hired my transceiver in the past. I’m thinking of buying one now. Can anyone offer some advice.

Having done some research already: The Tracker DTS seems like a good, easy to use and reasonably priced choice. For the multiple victims case the Pulse (Barryvox) and the S1 (ortovox) sound great. However I can’t find many reviews about the S1.

Help!

Posted: 29 January 2008 02:13 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2005-05-06

He seems a bit anal but you could try.
http://www.beaconreviews.com/transceivers/Specs_OrtovoxS1.htm

Signature 

http://www.alpine-property.com

Posted: 29 January 2008 02:32 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Beacon reviews is an interesting site. I personally think the Pulse and S1 are overkill unless you really think you will be doing a lot of multi-victim searches (which is not likely) but the Pulse is a nice, solid unit - bar the reported frozen switch issue. The S1, after being announced 2 years too early missed the boat a bit which is probably why there are not too many reviews. Here is some information from an Ortovox S1 user:

The Ortovox S1 has about 50 meters maximum range, a bit less than advertised. It is not an easy beacon to master. The user guide is not very clear (this seems to be a problem with Ortovox instructions which are not always well translated). The beacon is very precise as long as you don’t move too rapidly. You often have to stop to let it catch up. It is extremely accurate with distances and burial depths. It has trouble with more than 3 victims but there is a special mode for this where it will focus (at bit like the Tracker DTS) in a strip of 10 meters but you have train to use this. The beacon would be ideal for a group leader, guide etc who can put in some time to master it. The Pulse is easier to use.

Ortovox update the software on the S1 from time to time so some issues may have improved within the limits of processor power.

The Tracker DTS is a good dependable beacon, some comments say the range is not good but it seemed about the same as other digital beacons - that is about 35 meters in good conditions with a search band of perhaps 20 meters when I tested it. The Nic-Impex ARVA range are good basic digital transceivers.

Neither the Tracker DTS nor Nic-Impex have the advanced graphics of the Pulse or S1 but they are a lot cheaper and have reliable multi-victim search modes in the very unlikely event you need such functionality.

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/ARVA-ADvanced
http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0722-multivictim-searches-tracker-avalanche-beacon/

Posted: 29 January 2008 03:59 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-01-28

Thanks for all that very useful info. Based on what you said and what I’ve read, I’m leaning towards the tracker.

Posted: 29 January 2008 08:31 PM   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  544
Joined  2006-01-24
davidof - 29 January 2008 02:32 PM

The Tracker DTS is a good dependable beacon, some comments say the range is not good but it seemed about the same as other digital beacons - that is about 35 meters in good conditions with a search band of perhaps 20 meters when I tested it. /

I’m happy with my Tracker, I’d agree the max range from ski-by is around 35m. I’d heard they were having problems with the tracker 2 and it was a little delayed. Although the Tracker is good it’s two antenna and current competitors seem to be three antenna like the tracker 2.

It doesn’t seem to have any serious limitations, like all devices it’s flaky at extreme range but fine closer up. Apparently it’s not obvious that you need to keep the orientation fairly stable and not wave it around like a Star Trek tricorder but that’s fairly consistent with all the devices I’ve tried.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’EpicĂ©a, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 30 January 2008 01:36 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-09-14

You may wish to look at the following link

http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/ski/transceiverreview2007.htm

Good luck and keep safe

Posted: 30 January 2008 02:11 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Good link.

I’ve used the BCA Tracker 2 and it looks like being a really interesting beacon when they get it finalized. Very quick, no noticeable digital lag. BCA also say they’ve upgraded the processor in the Tracker so it may suffer less lag. There is not much call for huge range on a directional beacon as the flux lines are pretty straight at 30+ meters.

The Pieps Freeride looks like being the Avalanche Beacon for the masses Under 100 UKP (140 euros/$175). Simple single antenna digital operation like an updated Ortovox M2 or Arva 9000. It does have a multi-victim indicator although some reviews claim it doesn’t but multi-victim searches need special strategies with this beacon. It also has iProbe support to help with multi-victim rescue. The iProbe won’t play your MP3 but is an electronic probe that helps with pinpointing victims and can also be used to turn off Pieps iProbe compatible beacons so you can search for other nearby signals. I assume this functionality is built into the probe rather than beacon as it must be very limited range to avoid turning off other nearby beacons.