This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Chamonix lift price increases again!
Posted: 29 October 2009 05:29 PM  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-10-29

It amazes me, why anyone would spend their money on tiny ski areas like Les Houches, Le Brevent/Flegere or Le Tour for a whopping 40 EUR!!

http://www.ledauphine.com/mont-blanc-remontee-mecaniques-les-tarifs-de-la-saison-2009-2010-compares-@/index.jspz?article=213671&chaine=23

Why can’t they sell a day pass for single ski areas for a little more reasonable price? How many people ski two unlinked areas on a single day?

Posted: 29 October 2009 10:14 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

40 euros for le tour is a total rip to be honest. It was 38.50 last year as far as I can tell. That’s a 4% hike when inflation is negative in France. Madness during a credit crunch with a 12% drop in Brit visitors last season and who knows how many this season. They’ll be charging extra to ski the off piste next.

I paid 16 euros for the whole of Pras sur Lys one day last season. Le Tour/Vallorcine should be in the same bracket. Plus at Pras sur Lys you get a decent view of le Mont Blanc!

As Cham has such poor transport links and such poor ski interconnects (where they exist at all) they should only sell sector day passes. Maybe they can just

I’m told the famille pass is the one to get if you have lots of kids… 96.30 € for the day.

Posted: 30 October 2009 03:58 PM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-10-29

I know we complained it about it last year as well (and they didn’t listen), but it seems they have now pretty much given up on the local day skier....

Posted: 30 October 2009 06:33 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Yes, I figured the whole idea must be to scare day skiers off. If you ski six days the price is a more reasonable 200 euros plus you could actually make use of the possibilities and the varied terrain at Chamonix is great if the weather closes in. Your not stuck somewhere lunar like Tignes or Val Thorens. Plus… well, it’s Chamonix.

I wouldn’t mind a weekend in the Albert 1er mind you.