This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Scotsman Article On Glencoe Avalanche.
Posted: 11 April 2013 08:06 PM  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2009-11-09

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/features/roger-cox-the-tragic-death-of-an-experienced-skier-at-glencoe-means-a-re-write-and-a-re-think-1-2881167

This short piece from the Scotsman poses a timely and important question.

Should we focus more on prevention than rescue?

To say we need to concentrate on both is correct but probably a bit glib, as the experience of this winter in Scotland and France shows that being tooled up while important will not substitute for good decision making and may even interfere with it.

Posted: 12 April 2013 09:55 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Interesting thoughts from Roger Cox.

As we point out time and again here though it is the local, experienced skiers who tend to get killed or injured by avalanches. People who ski a lot, who push the boundaries too far. People who are equipped. We’ve mentioned risk homoeostasis before, the effect that the perceived safety the gear provides will lead you to take more risks.

I’ve noticed that a lot of the local good skiers have dialled back the risk a lot in recent years so I think the message has got through to some. I’m very wary on higher risk days now. My philosophy is to think were it would be safe to ski today if I didn’t have a beacon.

Posted: 12 April 2013 04:09 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-04-12

These guys may have been experienced skiers but nowhere have I read any information pertaining to whether they were equipped or not. A tragic incident in any case and surely even more so if they did not have the appropriate safety gear.

Posted: 16 April 2013 12:42 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2005-02-06

My risk has also been dialled back, but I wonder how much of this is due to me getting older, I’m also a little slower decending on the road bike than I used to be.

So the question is how would 21 year old me behave today, espcially with modern powder skis?