News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Advise for Seasonaire
Posted: 01 April 2013 07:16 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-03-30

Hey Guys,

Just about to finish my seasonaire job as a Chalet host in La Rosiere.

Weather conditions have been Great (with even a Snow dump last day in March)

After finding the Work Exhausting (mainly working with my Girlfriend) i have decided that being a chalet host is not for me again!

I was thinking of doing a Month in Canada on the cheap… staying in chaep hostels, buying cheap food etc. just saving money for the month and not working over there

Could anyone give me any guidance on best Resort and general cheap place to stay

Thanks very much for any help that can be given

With Kind Regards
Tim Arnold

Posted: 02 April 2013 03:32 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-04-02

Try and stay off the main tourist route of whistler /banf

Posted: 03 April 2013 07:44 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-04-30

Canada doesn’t have many resorts in the European sense.  If you want great skiing maybe stay somewhere like Nelson, Canmore, Revelstoke, Banff or Golden.  Best to have a car as well

Posted: 03 April 2013 08:07 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2010-09-13

I am currently in a warm western Canada waiting for it to snow and/or get colder but I will be back in the years to come.
We have had a great time to date.

The best places to go are clearly Golden for Kicking Horse and Revelstoke. Both towns have hostels within walking distance of supermarkets. Dreamcatcher Hostel in Golden is brilliant with great hosts and lots of wonderful guests. Poppi’s in Revelstoke is smaller but very welcoming and convenient.

There are Samesun and/or HI chain hostels in many places including Banff. The HI Hostel in Lake Louise being the best of these. Avoid Banff except for gear shopping or hire.

Most Canadian skiing requires a bus or car to the hill. We flew to Calgary and hired a car. We also used buses to get around which just takes more time.

Canadian resorts are small compared to some Alpine places but the snow can be great. We had some great touring in the Rogers Pass, near Golden and in the Rockies north of Lake Louise. Two weeks of sun with brilliant corn has given way to warm cloudy weather but snow is promised. Early March was great.

Next time I come,I will go straight to Golden from Calgary Airport and then go on to Revelstoke.

I hope this helps.