PisteHors 3.0 Beta Launch
Posted: 15 March 2013 11:01 PM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

The new PisteHors website can be found here

http://pistehors.magneato.org/

This is a full custom development based on the Lucene search engine and a NoSQL store. The aims are to provide better templates for posting route, trip reports and articles. Images, Coordiantes and GPS routes can be attached to pages. The design is reponsive so should work across a variety of platforms with the exception of older Internet Explorer versions. Navigation is via Facets.

Registrations are currently disabled. Anyone who wants to beta test the site can email me to get their user details imported from the current website. There are no-doubt lots of glitches. This is a considerable amount of development, an estimated $300,000 development based on the Cocomo model!

At some point in the future the old site (what you are reading now) will be frozen and accounts migrated to the new version which will then live under this domain. The major tasks are implementation of front end caching due to cope with the load on the main site, improvements to the templates and administration particuarly wrt to spam.

Posted: 16 March 2013 09:53 AM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2006-01-24

sounds great, what I really need though is a new ####### and there’s no suppliers in Leysin, any contacts? grin

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’EpicĂ©a, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 16 March 2013 10:10 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

Wait and see, they seem to be everywhere else. Hard to imagine that spamming nearly every UK forum is profitable as the spams get deleted pretty rapidly.

[ Edited: 19 March 2013 08:38 AM by davidof]

Posted: 21 March 2013 01:57 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

Here’s a tutorial on adding routes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQejzrhU4CM&feature=youtu.be

Posted: 03 April 2013 02:49 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-04-03

Hey, I’m relatively new to PH but I have checked it out in the past and think it’s a great concept. It would be great to get it more active and the new release is looking good.

As well as being a keen skier I also do quite a bit of web design, particularly working with wordpress. For PH did you consider a wordpress-based site for permanent pages and blogs with perhaps a (media)wiki-based bit for routes etc and bbpress for the forum?

Although I doubt I have the same level of expertise as davidof I do have reasonable knowledge of php/mysql and wordpress and a good level of html/css so if you think there’s anything I might be able to help with I’d be happy to lend my services.

For an example, I built and designed this site for a client: http://sergedenimes.com.

‹‹ PisteHors 3.0