This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Anyone been to Mayrhofen?
Posted: 15 January 2013 01:12 AM  
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-10-02

Hi, off to Austria this weekend for a weeklong trip. Anyone got any tips for off piste runs or short day tours? Struggling to find quality info in English. Any advice on routes or sources of information gratefully appreciated.

Posted: 16 January 2013 10:18 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-02-01

Hi Petern - off there myself in a week, and been researching the same....
Looks like the o/p in Mayrhofen itself isn’t that good, but some of the other resorts in the Ziller Valley (which I think are on covered on the Valley pass) seem to come up trumps - particularly like the sound of HochFugen http://welove2ski.com/hochfugen-off-piste-skiing

Found these quotes on other forums:

…. if there’s a powder day coming I wouldnt dream of going up Penken (main ski area in Mayrhofen). Hop on the train and go to Ramsau (Mini Japan!) or train to Kaltenbach and hop over the mountain to Hoch Fugen, which I think has the best off piste in the valley. Basically, anywhere but Penken.

Hintertux and the Tuxertal
Skiers in Tuxertal can drop into the Rastkogel and Eggalm areas….with plenty of off-piste for experts… either take the bus back to Mayrhofen or ride the Rastkogelbahn and then another six-person high-speed chair … cruise down the Hofberg/Gerent area to return to Mayrhofen. Both of these areas now connect with the main Mayrhofen ski areas.

Been living and working in the ‘hof for 4 seasons ….I can see why the locals have only race skis in their quiver, the off piste is realy inaccessable and dangerous just don’t go there...or if you do then make sure you’re fully covered with your pro off piste insurance ‘cos you’re sure to be heading home in a body bag

Posted: 17 January 2013 10:53 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-10-02

Thanks a million! Will actually be staying in Ramsau so intrigued to see what little Japan means. Have fun on your trip.

Posted: 17 January 2013 07:23 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-02-01
petern - 17 January 2013 10:53 AM

… intrigued to see what little Japan means. Have fun on your trip.

The thread I found that on was here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1920413 : the last post is guessing that it relates to the tree-skiing. Having skiid in Niseko myself that would be ace (particularly if they have the pow they get there too grin )