This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Haute Route Gear
Posted: 11 January 2013 04:14 AM  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-01-11

I will be doing my first AT trip in late March this - The Haute Route.

Need some advice on ski/binding/boot to buy.  I anticipate post Haute Route I will use the equipment for day tours in the side country (British Columbia, Utah, colorado, etc), as part of the annual family vacation (multi day tours are not well accepted by my wife - lucky to be going on this one!).  I have a set of ski/binding/boot that i will keep for resort in bounds use.

About me:
- 6ft 170 lbs, 41yrs old, Male
- some sl/gs racing background
- like to ski fast, big turns, small cliffs (20-30ft max)
- fairly flexible
- 7X Ironman finisher
- price not a concern

Thanks in advance for an recommendations.

Kelly

Posted: 11 January 2013 08:17 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

The big choice is whether you go Dynafit (tech) compatible or not. You can also buy a tech compatible boot (with front and rear lugs that fit lightweight tech bindings) but still use them in traditional bindings such as Markers or Diamirs. That way you keep your options open later if you want to upgrade.

Given what you say about your level of fitness no reason why you couldn’t complete the Haute Route on a burlier binding such as Marker Baron; you’ll be carrying 3lbs more on both feet compared to anyone on the lightest Dynafit bindings but they will be better adapted to the rest of your programme. For cliff hucks even 20’ ones! I wouldn’t use tech bindings myself. Not that I huck cliffs intentionally.

If you are used to downhill gear a stiffer 4 clip boot may suit you better. Skis around the 85mm width will be good for most of the ski conditions you’ll see without being too heavy.

Posted: 11 January 2013 04:22 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2013-01-11

Thanks davidof, this is helpful. 

I was debating about the binding (Dynafit or not), the Marker option you suggested sounds like the better option for me.  Same for boots, something a little stiffer, perhaps the Black Diamond Quadrant (depending on fit), other brand/model advice welcome.

Still trying to understand the ski width.  What are the trade-offs between a 85mm ski vs. 95mm-105mm ski?  The weight difference is obvious, POW/Crud/etc. will be easier in the wider ski, narrower ski easier to maneuver. Are there specific things I need to consider for skinning (I’ve never been skinning before)?

Thanks very much for your advice, as a newbie to AT skiing there is lots to take in.

Kelly

Posted: 11 January 2013 06:32 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2013-01-11

I suggest you don’t get a Marker set up because I doubt you will be “hucking” anything on skis 85mm wide.

Diamir and or Dynafit will do the trick just fine for the HR. Just get a wider set of planks 95-105 are absolutely no problem. You’ll be so much happier you did.
Blondin

Posted: 11 January 2013 08:49 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Just on a personal level I would use basic Dynafit or Plum bindings for the Haute Route and any other touring although they are slightly more fiddly to use - pretty easy with the Dynafit boots which have a guide slot though but I wouldn’t ski piste or huck with either. The OP sounded much much fitter than me though.

Posted: 15 January 2013 02:45 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2013-01-11

Thanks for the help.  Much appreciated!

Kelly

Posted: 16 January 2013 10:41 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-02-01

What are the trade-offs between a 85mm ski vs. 95mm-105mm ski?  The weight difference is obvious, POW/Crud/etc. will be easier in the wider ski, narrower ski easier to maneuver.

Other things you may want to consider as well as weight :-

The H.R is a well tracked route, so you’ll most probably be skinning in well defined ski-tracks, and may find wide skis are a pain to use in the tracks if most people are on say 85 width skis (it’s a while since I did it, so wider may now be the trend ?). 

And with wider skis you’ll potentially be using more energy sliding them forward/upward as there will be more skin-friction.

Depends on your priorities - whether you want kit which is best for the downhill bits or best for the skinning - in terms of time spent in your touring day you’re probably going to be spending (say) 70% of the day skinning [wild guess]

Posted: 17 January 2013 10:44 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2013-01-11
geoffers - 16 January 2013 10:41 PM

What are the trade-offs between a 85mm ski vs. 95mm-105mm ski?  The weight difference is obvious, POW/Crud/etc. will be easier in the wider ski, narrower ski easier to maneuver.

Other things you may want to consider as well as weight :-

The H.R is a well tracked route, so you’ll most probably be skinning in well defined ski-tracks, and may find wide skis are a pain to use in the tracks if most people are on say 85 width skis (it’s a while since I did it, so wider may now be the trend ?). 

And with wider skis you’ll potentially be using more energy sliding them forward/upward as there will be more skin-friction.

Depends on your priorities - whether you want kit which is best for the downhill bits or best for the skinning - in terms of time spent in your touring day you’re probably going to be spending (say) 70% of the day skinning [wild guess]

well as one who actually skis (guides) the haute route every year, you will certainly not have a problem on skis that are a bit wider - yes that is the general trend. But by wider I don’t mean stupid wide (and heavy). I use skis that are 105 underfoot and that is amply sufficient. Wider than that tends to be more of a problem when the track is hard and or icy. Oh and skis are rarely too wide for the way down…