This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Zermatt late season?
Posted: 03 December 2010 03:38 PM  
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-01-22

Thinking about making the most of UK public holidays around Easter and heading to the Alps for some late season skiing and day tours perhaps. And I also want to explore Zermatt… is this a good plan for the and of April? Yeah, I know I’m asking people to predict the weather in 4.5 months timesmile Obviously I don’t expect anyone to predict the future, but is it a good bet? E.g. Having spent a lot of time in these areas I would probably consider Argentiere or Val/Tignes to be a good bet for that time of year, but probably not St Anton for example. I don’t know much about Zermatt, but it appears to have the altitude and glaciers so presumably there’s be a few days worth of fun there?

Cheers,
Steve

Posted: 03 December 2010 11:32 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-06-29

I spent two weeks there between the 10th April and when we eventually got home following the ash cloud and it was really good. It was the third time I have been there late in April.In the final few days it was a bit slushy at the bottom but you could ski all the way down. We did a couple of days touring, and could have done a lot more. The scenery on the Schwartztor glacier and the Theodul Glacier was amazing but you do need a guide. It was fine getting over to Cervinia and that was really the only place we saw queues but that was probably as it was the first fine day following a lot of snow. I stayed in the Tannenhof, brilliant value and very central. I have previously gone from Argentiere to Zermatt when things were just about all done in Argentiere apart from the top of the Grand Montet but in Zermatt the snow was still excellent. If you like live music the Zermatt unplugged festival is on usually in the middle of the month as an added bonus.

‹‹ La Clusaz tips?      Touring Partners Verbier ››