News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Cheap Skins
Posted: 12 October 2010 03:21 PM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

If you are looking for cheap touring skins check out these offers from Wischili on ebay.de. He has both Gecko and Hightrail skins. Hightrail are a Swiss manufacturer (http://www.hightrail.net/front_content.php) whose skins are similar to those of Colltex.

http://stores.ebay.de/wischili/_i.html?_nkw=Skitourenfelle&submit=Finden&_sid=128247769

Note the skins are new but have been stored for 2 years in a warehouse. Initial feedback is that the glue is ok but I’ll post more info when my pair arrives. Gecko (glueless skins using harvested Gecko feet grin are the 2009 model and there may have been some improvement since. Pistehors readers will remember some issues with the first series.

http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/144/

Posted: 14 October 2010 11:17 AM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  544
Joined  2006-01-24

thanks for that. I’ve some skis I use rarely I’d some skins for if I could get them cheap enough. I could live with reglueing them quicker than normal if that was any problem.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 14 October 2010 11:34 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

I’ve just got my pair of Highland skins. They look to be good quality and the glue is fine. Skin says 09/10 model for Dynastar 8000 but fits my Atomic Sweet Daddies with a bit of a trim at the shovel end.

Posted: 14 October 2010 11:44 AM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  544
Joined  2006-01-24

It was on my todo list to audit what skins we’d got, I may be able to sell some cheap ones myself.

Personally, I’m mostly using some G3 alpinists, they’re cut for BD Voodoos but I use them on BD Havocs as well but also BD Kilowatts which are fatter and longer. I think we worry a little much about the exact cutting sometimes.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 14 October 2010 03:04 PM   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2004-01-10

Thanks for that - can’t resist a bargain. Thank god for Google Tarnslate though - still a bit unsure what I’ve bought until I receive themwink

Posted: 25 October 2010 05:23 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-10-25

These skins looks good but i was worried because you said that they are stored for 2 years in the warehouses i think it will effect them much because many things get spoiled if they are stored for more than 4-6 months i think it wont suit it may create some problems.

Signature 

mephisto

Posted: 25 October 2010 11:42 PM   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2004-01-10

Got mine last week. Being stored for 2 years appears to be no problem. They also come with a can of glue revitaliser which will not be required yet. These were a real bargain - Thanks Davidof - now find me a similar bargain for boots, bindings and skiswink

Posted: 26 October 2010 08:57 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

Skis ‘n’ boots are hard to come by cheap this year :-(. I’m thinking about changing my light skis for some Volkl Massaks, Telemark Pyrenees has a good price but I’ve not seen any reviews of these skis yet.

The glue on my skins seems fine too despite the couple of years storage.