This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Rifugio Guglielmina, Monte Rosa
Posted: 16 January 2010 09:58 PM  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2008-11-16

Has anybody stayed in this old refuge / hotel which looks spectacular and is in a great spot?

I want to get to know the Monte Rosa better and wonder if it is practical to actually stay up here for a few nights rather than down in one of the villages, or is it better to just treat it as an overnight stopping point?

Obviously one would be limited on how much kit you could get up there but a few nights seems feasible in a pack

Anyone tried it?

http://www.rifugioguglielmina.com/en/firsthome

Posted: 16 January 2010 10:15 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-01-16

This was the first mountain refuge that we stayed in some 5 years ago.  Wonderful place, being winter no running water but a fine wine list and good food and all very welcoming.  The morning silence looking out over the mountain landscape was magic and a perfect setting off point for greater adventures.

Posted: 17 January 2010 01:24 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-01-17

I was told they remodeled everything 2 or 3 years ago and that the Guglielmina today is a hotel with all comfort including WiFi internet access and a totally different kind of guests now staying there. I liked the old style refuge very much, even though it was really cold up there in january ‘05 without heating in the bedrooms then, but I’m not sure about the new one. Perhaps I would try the Rif. Città di Vigevano right next to the Guglielmina instead.
However, the place is really beautiful, you’re located at nearly 3000 m with a great view over the Po Valley and the Monte Rosa in your back.

Posted: 17 January 2010 01:38 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-16

Thanks for the info guys, but onto my second question.

Would it be suitable to stay there for several nights? or is it just a stopover type refuge…

I guess what I am asking is how easy it is to leave the car in the valley and lug kit up there and traverse to the refuge?

Posted: 18 January 2010 12:13 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-04-21

We stopped of there for lunch on an offpiste skiing trip in 2005, so before the refurb. As other say, it was utterly charming and I’m sure the improvements will not have detracted from the character.

There is no direct transport to the hut. You have to ski/walk down or across from the top of the bubble lifts that run from from Gressoney or Alagna. Lots of people stay overnight. What time of year were you thinking of going?

Posted: 16 February 2011 10:20 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2009-12-28

You don’t seem to have got a contemporary reply to this. It is a hotel now with full service year round. Several nights is possible but not common. Do be aware that if the weather is bad it can be difficult to find so don’t leave it too late. It’s got an amazing wine list!

Posted: 13 April 2011 09:21 PM   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-16

Well, I went there and despite going in the shittiest season in the history of (my) skiing it was enjoyable.

Here is a trip report for anyone wishing to plan similar

http://www.danfascia.com/post/4583301369/trip-report-from-london-to-rifugio-guglielmina-in-a