This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

California Sierras April-May 2010 ski backcountry
Posted: 23 December 2009 01:17 AM  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  270
Joined  2008-01-31

I’m starting to think about going to the far east side of California USA in late April / early May ...
because I’ve done some great ski descents and tours there a few years ago, and because
the probabilities in the latest long-term weather models are looking remarkably favorable for building up a big snow base during the winter, followed by stable weather for spring touring—especially for the highest most dramatic peaks south of Mammoth Lakes to Mt Whitney.

Maybe not as good as the French Alps, but lots of backcountry skiers who have traveled around choose the eastside Sierra Nevada mountains as the best spring backcountry skiing in North America—and it has a very different feel from the Alps.
[ photos from last trip ]
The peaks rise 3000 meters straight up out of the sagebrush desert. Virtually no glaciers. Very few people live in the valley because the water is diverted to Los Angeles, and very few other skiers (or refuges) in the mountains because so few Los Angeles people ski backcountry (and the San Francisco skiers can’t get there because the road passes are blocked).

Could be a special opportunity:

* the highest southern peaks don’t come into good condition for skiing very often any more.

* Euro-based skiers may find rental cars + fuel pretty cheap. (Sterling-based skiers might not)

* If the glaciers in France are not well-covered, the Sierras offer high-altitude skiing virtually free of crevasses.

* lots of 4000 meter peaks in California (nearly as many as the Alps).

* also known for good rock climbing + bouldering (around Bishop) and good fly-fishing.

* cheap sleeping: various opportunities in the valley for car-camping. (Also some great great base camp locations high up on the snow surrounded by skiable peaks)—and also a range of motels.

* two English-language backcountry ski guidebooks, and topo maps useful for skiing readily available.

* large lift-served downhill resort (by USA standards) nearby.

I’m not going to “lead” anything there, or organize anything. No itinerary, just hang out and see what fits with the weather + snow and the desires of folks hanging with me. Not even sure if I’m going there at all in 2010—and favorable probabilities are still just probabilities - (but likely some friends of mine will be there).

If you want to talk about ideas as the time gets closer, by all means get in touch using this
[ contact info ]

Ken

P.S.
* if the big snowpack comes true, probably good to bring tent + sleeping bags + equipment for camping high on the snow—because then the roads might not be plowed open high enough to do big tours in a single day. (actually unless you’re pretty fast, could be good to bring a tent even if the roads are plowed)

* rental car—difficult to get to most tours without a car for your party. Public transportation is either non-existent, inconvenient, or very expensive.

* huts? almost no refuges or huts.

* if you go further in east past the high crest, you’re into one of the largest wilderness areas in the contiguous 48 states of USA.
. . . (but still in the same state as San Francisco + Los Angeles)

[ Edited: 23 December 2009 01:20 AM by KenR]