This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Advice for a new member headed toward le Corbier?
Posted: 18 November 2012 03:00 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-11-18

greetings all, I have just registered here on PisteHors. I have been a part of the telemarktips community for many years, but recently I have moved to Portugal and hope to do some skiing in the Alps. I have visited Chamonix and Espace Killy so far and enjoyed them both very much!

I am planning a trip this winter in a VW transporter van setup for a bit of camping. I hope to stay in the van to save some money, and see as many places as possible. Le Corbier looks promising with the connections of multiple resorts, muck like Espace Killy. 

In reading about it, I see mentioned that it is a car free resort. Can anyone give me the skinny on exactly how car free it is? no cars on piste? wink or no cars in the entire village? how close can one drive to the area? Obviously if I hope to stay in the van I need to have access to the hill? can I just take the bus up the mtn each day?  any thoughts?

I have seen many “abandoned” vans in parking lots at ski resorts, where the owners thought they would do just what I think I will, but then found a better way to manage. I don’t really have the option to stay long enough to take a job or find a roommate, only about three weeks total in the beginning of January.

I’d also love to find some solid backcountry partners along the way if anyone is interested!!

Posted: 20 November 2012 11:19 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

At le Corbier you can drive to within 100 meters of the pistes. The resort is a long ribbon. On one side are the bottom of the runs (front neige as the French call it). Then apartment blocks and on the other is the road. I think calling it “car free” is a bit misleading, as you said, what are they talking about, cars on the pistes?

As for parking a van all season I don’t know but certainly la Toussuire up the road would be an alternative for van parking if you wish to move around the same area and people park vans all season at St Colomban les Villards (part of the same domain) and that is good for ski touring.

Posted: 20 November 2012 12:40 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-11-18

Thanks David, I would only be around for a couple of weeks, so I doubt anywhere would be too upset with me. Cheers!