This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Problems with downhill boots in Diamir Fritschi bindings
Posted: 26 January 2010 02:12 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-01-26

Has anyone had a problem with downhill boots popping out of Diamir fritsch Freeride bindings?
Usually happens when landing small jumps or putting in hard turns. DIN settings should be suitable. Clearly they were not designed for downhill boots, and wonder whether others have had similar problems? Only resolution to swap for AT boots?

Thanks

Alex

[ Edited: 26 January 2010 08:03 PM by davidof]

Posted: 26 January 2010 04:10 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-10-29

Never had any problems. I ski Scarpa Spirit 4 when touring and a pair of downhill Nordica’s on the piste. I do have to make serious height adjustments on the front part of the binding, as the vibram sole on the scarpa adds quite some height compared to the plastic underside of the downhill boot. I could imagine that not reducing this enough for the downhill boot could cause some problems.

Posted: 26 January 2010 04:19 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-01-26

Thanks, yes I have looked at that and it seemed to be correctly adjusted. Will have to double check though!

Posted: 26 January 2010 06:21 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2004-09-07

Maybe you should check the forward pressure as well. Sounds like that could be the problem.

Posted: 26 January 2010 06:22 PM   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2008-11-05

dito aplanian except i use salomon downhill boots.  i’ve never had any problems with my fritschi’s, just you some times have to give them a good hard clunk to lock the heel when stepping in.

when adjusting the front height you are supposed to place a piece of paper underneath the sole of the boot and tighten down till you can just about pull the paper out.
(and for the rear size/length adjustment the screw should be flush with the black plastic)

Posted: 26 January 2010 08:05 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

I wonder if the lack of friction with an alpine toe causes the problem? The bindings are designed to work with rubber soles and have a sliding plate to help release, maybe with a plastic sole they can prerelease?

Toe height is also important.

Posted: 27 January 2010 04:13 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-03-20

Last year I hired touring skis with Fritschi Freeride bindings to use with my Salomon downhill boots. The shop set them up for me but I had them pop out several times off piste.
This year I have my own skis and Freeride bindings and used them for a week, on and off piste, with both AT and (the same)downhill boots with no problems. I adjusted the settings myself and made sure the toe height and end pressure were set OK. The downhill boots are at least 15 years old and hte AT boots are early Denalis, so plenty of wear on both.
The only reason I can see that they popped out before was incorrect setting.

Posted: 27 January 2010 06:32 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2004-09-07

I’ve never had any problems with Fritschi’s besides wearing them out over time. But as with any binding (also alpine), proper adjustement is the key.
Correct forward pressure (size setting) is very important to avoid prerelease. This setting is often overlooked. The AFD or sliding plate under the toe ball is the same as on many alpine bindings and does not cause any trouble with alpine boots. The Fritschi’s are designed to work OK with both, and it does.

Posted: 29 March 2010 04:36 PM   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-01-22

I have had exactly this problem with my Fritschi Freerides but only twice in about 15 days of use (so far). I have had the bindings checked and they are fine apparently.

I suspect that it was due to ice on the boot because it has only happend after I had the skis off for a while; once after a 20 minute boot back (I know, I had touring skis so why was I booting… anyway...), the other time was after I’d skinned up but I did wander around on the summit for a while taking photos etc. Both times I seemed to pop-out very easily on the slightest impact (e.g. small bumps and very small drops - I don’t mean cliffs I mean 30cm drops on to a cat track). When it did happen it happened more than once in the day and always from the same foot.

The fact that it happened several times in one run and then didn’t happen again for several days makes me think it was icing on the boot. Also my boots are pretty worn, so there is room for ice to build up and not prevent me clipping in to the binding if you see what I mean. I am hoping new boots will fix this, plus I always take extra care to completely clean my boots now when ever I step in to the bindings.

On other occasions I have skied bumps and rough terrain with the same skis and boots and had no problems at all.

The really annoying thing was that both times I released I was with guided groups, so I held up the group while I searched for a lost ski and of course there is no point in trying to tell the others that it wasn’t a wipeout, you can never blame your gear can yougrin

[ Edited: 17 January 2012 01:26 PM by Steve Haigh]

Posted: 14 April 2010 06:20 PM   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2006-05-01

I’ve been using Fritschi Freeride+ with regular downhill boots for several winters. I’ve never had any problems. For me they work the same as ordinary bindings. I’ve found it important to clean a boot sole before stepping back in, and I’ve seen that it’s possible for my boot to not be centred in the heel piece of the binding when the heel unit is closed, so I always look.

‹‹ Dynafit Rear Binding      Video Camera ››