This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Geneva Airport Long Term Parking?
Posted: 20 January 2011 05:14 PM  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2004-01-10

As the cost of car hire (especially one suitable for snow) has escalated, I have parked my 4x4 in P51 Geneva airport for the season but have found the cost has significantly increased since I last did this a few years ago (it used to be very cheap). I try to ski long weekends about twice a month during the season, so generally it is parked up for 2 weeks at a time.
I have found a few estate agents that list parking in the apartment blocks of Grand Saconnex area just adjacent the airport but perhaps due to the fact that I only require this for 3-4 months, cannot get them to respond - I had a similar lack of response from “La Fondation des Parking” (the authority that look after public parking in Geneva) when attempting to secure a place in the Palexpo sector P26. This car park is much more reasonable and offers annual or monthly abonnements - only on application through their off site office.
I am over this weekend once again and would like to sort this out - nothing like last minute!
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Posted: 20 January 2011 07:57 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Geneva is a bit of a nightmare for parking. The Park and Ride is really aimed at people working in Geneva and even then they have all sorts of bizzaroid restrictions and this may be where you’ve not been able to get anywhere. You could park in Ferney somewhere and get the airport bus. There must also be some on street parking in the industrial estates close to the airport where you wouldn’t attract the ire of local swiss residents.

Posted: 20 January 2011 08:44 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

You may find something on Glocals

http://www.glocals.com/classifieds/housing-and-real-estate/

I think you have to register to access the ads.

Posted: 20 January 2011 09:31 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-11-25

Your best best is probably either the on street suggestion, or pursuing the idea of contacting estate agents managing the bigger buildings in the areas, depending how far you are willing to travel and how much gear you’ll be lugging.

In the building I just moved out of they were renting spaces at around 170 frs a month, and they had a few as there were about 60-70 apartments in the complex. However, I reckon that anywhere near the airport (I live in Lausanne), you won’t have been the first to come up with the idea and the premium will be high. It can be hard to get estate agents to respond to you even if you are looking at sending a lot of business their way here in CH, but persistence or a phone call normally does the trick.

Signature 

Alpine skier, looking to start skinning.
Ski Reviews | Snowboard Reviews

Posted: 08 February 2011 07:50 PM   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-01-10

Thanks for your suggestions - I finally parked in a Hotel car park in Ferney. After asking for permission and how much, they let me park for free - because I asked! Apparently they occassionally get people parking there without asking, which understandably irritates them a bit. Obviously it will not be free, as I will be providing a token of my appreciation.
To top it off and as I had plenty of time, I started jogging to the Airport’s French sector and was promptly offered a lift by one of the car hire delivery drivers.
Just goes to show there are some decent people out theresmile

Posted: 09 February 2011 03:29 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

I used to work opposite the car hire overflow carpark in the freight terminal. The car hire drivers used to have a lot of fun doing handbrake turns as they parked the cars up. I’m sure they abused them even more than the hirers. Good you got a lift, it is a longish walk.

Posted: 25 February 2011 12:05 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-02-24

Ferney is indeed your best bet.

If you dont fancy the walk, the bus will take you straight to the airport. If anyone needs, i can point out some spots on google maps.

Posted: 26 March 2011 01:41 AM   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-01-10

Big relief - the car was still there when I collected it the week before last - with everything intact and it started first time.
As we flew in at about 2300, made the mistake of taking a 5 minute taxi ride from the airport - this left me 30chf lighter.
Hotel have again been great and allowed me to leave car there for another term.
I wonder if they will give it a wash this time - it was very dustysmile