News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Two dead in French avalanches
Posted: 05 March 2010 10:44 PM  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2005-02-02

A Belgium ski tourer has been killed by an avalanche above Pralognan la Vanoise in the Savoie. Part of a group of four Belgium skiers they were climbing to the Roc de la Pêche refuge in the early evening. It appears that the group separated with two skiers arriving at the refuge without a problem. The remaining couple were hit by a slide around 10 minutes from the refuge. Partially buried, one of the skiers was able to escape from the slide and give the alert. He was able to locate the other skier buried beneath 150cm of snow but was unable to dig him out.
The CRS from Courchevel were dropped near the scene but were hit by another snow slide but were able to trigger their airbags and remain on the surface. Arriving on the scene they had great difficulty recovering the victim who had been pushed into a river.

In the Vercors a ski mountainer has been killed skiing the hyper-exposed south face of the Grande Moucherolle. At its steepest the route varies between 45° and 55° over 250 meters vertical.

http://www.skitour.fr/sorties/la-grande-moucherolle,18064.html

The itineary passes across a series of rock bands and ledges. It appears the 28 year old fell after triggering a small windslab. The mans body was found by the CRS des Alpes around midday today. He has been named as Nicolas Wirshing. Well known in the tight-knit Grenoble steep skiing community.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbzwn9_devoluy_sport
(Nicolas Wirshing in the Chorum Olympique).

Posted: 06 March 2010 08:30 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2006-01-20

Hopefully the second incident will be a lesson to those who believe in the dangerous fallacy that slopes steeper than around 35 degrees are less likely to avalanche than shallower slopes. While it’s true that fewer people get caught in avalanches on really steep slopes, that’s got everything to do with the fact that fewer people ski really steep slopes, and nothing to do with their relative danger.

From Wikipedia: “Human triggered avalanches have the greatest incidence when the snow’s angle of repose is between 35 and 45 degrees; the critical angle, the angle at which the human incidence of avalanches is greatest, is 38 degrees. But when the incidence of human triggered avalanches are normalized by the rates of recreational use hazard increases uniformly with slope angle...[1] The rule of thumb is: A slope that is flat enough to hold snow but steep enough to ski has the potential to generate an avalanche, regardless of the angle.”

Posted: 06 March 2010 09:19 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Yes that’s a good quote. Plus a slope is never just 45 degrees then flat. It is also a reminder that steep and extreme skiing carries a very high risk both of avalanche and falls. It is true that steeper slopes do tend to purge fresh snow to some extent so soft slabs are maybe less likely.

There was another incident in the Hautes-Alpes today reported on Briancon Escalade:-

Two ski tourers have been kiled by an avalanche at Ceillac in the Hautes-Alpes. The avalanche occurred at 2200 meters altitude on a south-west facing slope between the pointe de Rasis and the col des Estronques. The slide was about 100m wide and ran some 1000 meters. The two victims, local to the region, were found under 150cm of snow.

http://brianconescalade.free.fr/

That brings the number of accidents involving a fatality to 25 and the number of fatalities to 30, which is around the normal average for the entire year.

Posted: 08 March 2010 11:08 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Here is what happened in the accident last Wednesday at the refuge du Roc de la Pêche, near Pralognan, hoping that this will perhaps help prevent others in the future. I hope that people who frequent this forum all share this passion for the mountains in winter, and therefore will understand my story without being judgmental.

I went with my friend from Pralognan late in the morning to climb to the Roc Blanchon. We consulted the BRA (Risk 2 below 2300m) and the weather forecast, the course was prepared in advance and we took beacons / shovels / probes. Around 2300m, the wind picked up and it was snowing slightly. We decided to stop and turn back to the shelter of the Roc de la Peche.

We were unfamiliar with the area. At the Montaimont chalets my friend decided to check the map, and found that there was only one bridge to cross the stream and reach the refuge. Arriving at the right bank, the wind had blown and erased all track. The refuge is on the left bank, 30 meters above the stream. We saw a bridge just below the refuge, and did not see any other upstream or downstream. It seemed so obvious that it was the only way to reach the refuge. We also concluded that the access track to the shelter, packed from the valley followed the walking route on the left bank. In fact this was not the case, the access track was on the right bank, and there was another bridge 100m upstream, which provided safe access to the refuge.

So we crossed the bridge, put skins back on, and my friend went up the short slope to access the refuge (15m max height difference, but steep). That’s when he started a slide that took us both into the stream. I took 30 minutes to free myself, and 2 minutes to locate my friend, but it was too late.

I have replayed the film dozens of times, and have made the following analysis. We made a series of (small) errors, interrelated, and the combination proved fatal:

1. My friend and I have a similar level, there was no clear leader in the outing. I think it is probably based in part on my decision, and clearly partly on his own. If I had been responsible for other less experienced person, I would be on my guard, and would have analyzed the terrain differently, and would no doubt have taken another decision.

2. I noticed the danger (cornice, snow accumulation, steep slope leading directly to the stream), but did not take the time to analyze the risk and make a conscious decision. I did not express my worries to my friend.

3. We were 20-30 meters from the refuge and thought we were safe. We let our guard down because of this.

4. I should have waited on the bridge before starting to climb the slope.

My personal conclusion is that we’re both responsible for the accident, I was very lucky and my friend was not. His death makes me aware of the disaster this represents for his family and friends. For my part, I will not ski tour until my children are independent.

-- nico

Posted: 09 March 2010 04:01 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2009-02-10

Took a lot of courage to post that and should make everyone think about what they do.

Posted: 19 May 2010 06:54 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-05-19

I agree that must have taken a lot of courage to post the explanation regarding the tragedy. I admire your courage and think that your post shows that you were a true friend and I am sure your friend appreciated that during his lifetime.