This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Dynafit - to brake or not to brake
Posted: 01 November 2009 06:17 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-10-12

I’m going to get some Dynafit bindings, probably the ST, should I get brakes or use leashes?

Posted: 01 November 2009 07:53 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-10-02

Making the same purchase myself this season having sold on some fritschi bindings. I’m going to get both. Brakes are just really handy, don’t see any disadvantages other than a bit of extra weight and little extra cost. Leashes however are bad news in an avalanche if you can’t get them undone. But on a glacier they might save you losing a ski down a crevasse! So I’m going for having brakes fitted and then have leashes handy to be attached for glacier crossings. Hope that helps or encourages advice from experienced dynafit users.

Posted: 01 November 2009 09:34 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

The newer ST and FT bindings seem to have much better brake units… that is they actually seem to release reliably compared to the aftermarket stuff that you could fit to Comfort and Speed bindings. Actually there doesn’t seem to be much differences but Dynafit seem to have made some changes that make the brake units actually work. (Lou Dawson had some information on the brake problems on http://wildsnow.com/ at one time).

If you are going to be resort skiing I would go for brakes and as Peter says leashes and avalanches are a concern.

I was at Dynafit the other day and they told me that their research suggests that women skiers prefer brakes, one reason being is that the give a more stable platform for putting skis on. This makes sense, legion are the people who have lost skis during this manouvere. For this reason the ST White binding (for the girls) only comes with brakes fitted.

Arguments against: some weight and a brake won’t stop your ski on a steep slope. I actually lost a ski in a steep couloir and the brake unit, broke! Recovered my ski at the bottom without a brake.

Posted: 01 November 2009 09:54 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2008-11-05
davidof - 01 November 2009 09:34 PM

one reason being is that the give a more stable platform for putting skis on.

i put my order in for brakeless tlt speed’s last week for my new lightweight touring set-up.  my thoughts being, on my bigger ski i have fritschi freerides with brakes as i often use these in resorts too so like mentioned above its nice to have the brake to aid getting them on.

i will probably struggle at first with these new dynafits without brakes, but for pure out and out weight its gota be no brakes and run the risk of loosing them.

Posted: 01 November 2009 10:41 PM   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  109
Joined  2006-03-05

If you ‘never’ fall - a good thing when mountaineering… brakes seems to work properly (Vertical FT), then a good addition is the fluo bands (Dynafit too) that would help find skis lost deep in powder.

If you tend to fall, leashes may avoid loosing a ski in some circumstances, but they are also a good receipe for accidents - like being scalped by rotating blades - not to talk about avalanches.

I have spent too many years using them and was happy to dispose them off on skis & telemarks!