News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Dent du Pra - Belledonne
Posted: 19 April 2009 08:49 PM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

The weather wasn’t promising when we left the car park at Prabert (1336 meter) this morning. Given the poor visibility we decided to climb to the Pas du Pin, a narrow couloir where we could at least see the walls to guide us.

pas-de-pin.jpg

We had some fresh snow, well more graupel, from 1900 meters with 5-10cm in the couloir itself.

After skiing down we decided to climb to the col de l’Aigleton. We’d seen a bit of sun from the top of the couloir and hoped we might get some more at the col.

We were not to be dissapointed, here are some fresh tracks heading to the Belle Etoile which I did with Ken and Luc on Wednesday

col-aigleton.jpg

We climbed to the Dent du Pra via the east slopes. There was about 10cm of fresh which broke away in balls as we climbed. However the climbing was good although there were some more accumulatations higher up under the influence of a north-westerly breeze.

We skied off the summit (2650 meters) on south-westerly slopes. Here is Chris in action

pra1.jpg

There was fresh powder right down to the lacs de Venetier at 2000 meters

pra2.jpg

This side seemed to have got more depth, around 15-20cm of fresh, probably due to the prevailing wind and configuration of the valley.

The snow was a bit sticky lower down. Chris had major problems climbing with the snow sticking to his skins. I just had problems with my skins sticking to the skis!