News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Tignes snowboarders cliff fall
Posted: 28 January 2009 02:36 PM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Some of you have probably seen these pictures already. A photographer took some dramatic shots of a snowboarder falling from cliffs in Tignes (thanks to Graham for sending me the link).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1129979/Pictured-The-moment-British-snowboarder-man-avalanche.html

This seems to be a big issue for boarders with their soft boots. There have been a number of incidents in l’Alpe d’Huez as well over the years where boarders following the convex off piste above Oz and Vaujany go too far down the slope and end up unable to climb back up.

The only thing one can say is be sure of your route before descending, or carry some rope! The best thing to do in this situation if possible is to find a secure place to stop and try and get help either by shouting to witnesses or calling the rescue services (112 is the number for europe or look on a piste map if you are in resort for the direct number).

Posted: 01 February 2009 10:30 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  544
Joined  2006-01-24

carry a rope and know how to use it :D he was a bit lucky !

Interesting point about soft boots, we do a fair bit of snow shoeing and I wear mountaineering boots for just that reason. The special snow shoe boots look way too soft to me should a situation arise, plus I’ve generally got a rope and axe if we’re away from the main prepared routes.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’EpicĂ©a, Leysin, Switzerland