News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Transceiver hire - Tignes
Posted: 15 December 2008 12:11 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-12-11

Hi,

Wondered if anyone had any advice on where to hire transceivers in Tignes?  We’ll be visiting for 2 weeks from Sat 24th Jan and preferably would like to hire for the full 2 weeks while we’re there.

Any rough estimates on costs would be appreciated as not sure if it might prove more cost effective in the long term just to buy our own (although I’d be happy to do this, having a hard time persuading the rest of the group to shell out the cash!).

Cheers

Posted: 02 January 2009 06:36 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-11-21

Not sure of the names of the shops but can tell you that these two shops were the ONLY ones we found recently..  and we went everywhere.
Admittedly, we were there on the 10th Dec and may have been early for some stock to arrive, but I am not sure I buy that.

Forget Precision...and others unless you defo know… everyone will point you in that direction, but they were clueless when we went there.

Go to the central lift area at Le Lac...where the Aeroski lift is..  look in the direction of the Grand Mott and spot the Post office up on the right.  The 1st ski shop you find on the right before the PO have Avra’s for hire but do not supply batteries...??? but would you trust old batteries.. I think they were 10 Euros a day.  Or head a little further up that street to TNT ( I think ) on the left and they have BCA Trackers for 15 eu a day, IIRC.  They will hire a shovel and probe combined for 30 eu..and were very helpful.

All this adds up in terms of cost.  If you don’t have bleeps, do you have the rest of the kit..??

It sounds to me that you might be better off hiring a guide on a good day..after it has snowed...who will supply bleeps and take you where you need to go..  but watch out that everyone might have the same idea so keep an eye on the weather and get in first.