News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Le Reculet
Posted: 26 November 2008 06:45 PM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

The Jura seemed to have received a reasonable amount of snow over the weekend. More than at the end of October (which all melted in the foehn wind).

Pb260225.jpg

So it was direction le Reculet. Major problems negociating Meyrin which is undergoing a “big dig”, the highway department is building a tunnel underneath the village. Given its proximity to Cern this may prove to be a bad idea.

I parked just after le Tiocan above Thoiry. There was about 30cm of snow on the ground but no base so the forest was not skiable. The path climbs pretty much directly. It wasn’t too bad until I got up onto the plateau when an ice wind started to bite. It didn’t seem to bother the many Chamois I saw.

Pb260215.jpg

I followed some old ski tracks, almost covered in snow by the high winds. Here we are looking back to Lake Geneva (Leman).

Pb260224.jpg

The snow had been stripped from the ridges which were a mix of grass and ice but just below the summit is the first of two bowls which had good snow cover.

Pb260228.jpg

Then a traverse, here we can see le Mont Blanc with a lot of snow transport, be careful of slabs.

Pb260226.jpg

This leads into a second, steeper bowl from where you pick up the forest trail.

Snow was pretty good on east and north east faces, a little bit crusty under 1400 meters. On south faces it seemed to be transforming into springlike snow. I didn’t notice any avalanche activity (they are possible in the Jura).