This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Gecko skins, any experience.
Posted: 17 March 2013 05:54 PM  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2009-11-09

Thinking about new skins. I have seen some gecko glueless skins in decathlon for 166euros, which is a bit more than the best BD ones. They are 100 mohair and are glueless.  They feel sticky, but have no glue, it says on the box that they can be washed!

Has anyone used them and what are they like.

http://geckoclimbingskins.com/

Posted: 17 March 2013 06:52 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

I started using them this year. Bizarrely they are sticky, or seem sticky, even though they are glueless. I have the 2012 skins. The worst bit are the little straps for the tails of the ski but you could probably cut these off. They are washable, which is great if you ski tour in wooded areas as skins are always picking up crud on the glued surface. So far no problems with them sticking and resticking during a trip but the proof will be in next season.

I got mine new for under 100 euros from eBay.de

Posted: 18 March 2013 08:05 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-04-24

This is my third season on the Geckos. very pleased with them. The hair quality seems good and they don’t ball up easily. When you put them on the ski they don’t appear to be stuck down that well but as soon as you put weight on the ski they adhere perfectly well. I have no tail fixes, and they have never shown any sign of coming off the ski in use.
But you must be careful not to let the “sticky” surface come in contact with itself or the little ventouses of which the surface is composed will pull each other off and destroy the skin. I use skin “socks” which I leave on for drying and storage . So far they show no signs of picking up dirt and pine needles like the messy old glued versions used to, and I have not seen any need to wash them. I think you can get them for less than 166 euros. Recommended.

Posted: 08 May 2013 05:51 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2013-05-06

@ juice
Gecko skins provides the superb equipment for skiing.Its glue-less technology has made the skiing really exciting and convenient. I would not say that comfortable because skiing do not create the comfort but excitement and fun during your entire adventure smile

Signature 

accommodation byron bay