News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Free.fr Vs “the rest”
Posted: 10 May 2013 06:37 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2013-05-06

Because just silence can be free smile
Free packages are limited packages where a free access are provided. For high profile speed where you can have access in your phones and other devices as well,needs to be paid which is like a connection on charges...That is why i used to say that just silence is free smile

Signature 

accommodation byron bay

Posted: 18 February 2013 10:24 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Free mobile is usable as a backup Internet access for your computer but I’d hoped to use it as my principal access and it is just too slow for that.

Free Internet seem to have some issues with Google with YouTube being limited at peak periods. The Geeks have confirmed that Free do this by “tunnelling” through to a private server outside of the free network and seeing 10x the download speeds. It is causing some friction between Free and their users at the moment.

Posted: 17 February 2013 10:05 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2005-05-06

Thanks for the pointers, it’s a shame about the tethering, I don’t use it much but it’s nice to have as a backup if the ADSL goes down - though recently the SFR ADSL has been very reliable.....

Signature 

http://www.alpine-property.com

Posted: 16 February 2013 06:25 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

The missus and I have both moved over to Free mobiles. ‘er indoors was an early adopter having had massive bills each month with Orange and also having their telesales people call her all the time. She’s saved a fortune since. The main problem is she’s become a geek.

I moved from Bouyges whom I was more or less happy with as I’m not a power telephone user. I’d hoped to just have Free for phone and Internet but the Internet speed is dissapointing where we are (tethered to computer via Android phone). Sometimes it is ok, sometimes it is unusuable. That said we are moving home ISP at the moment and I’ve been using my Free mobile for work access and it has been ok for computeree type stuff (ftp, ssh, maven downloads). The problems with the Internet speeds are hard to resolve, Free say it is France Telecom, FT say it is Free. In any case hard to use the 3GB/month data.

At home we are binning SFR who seem to cost 50 euros on an average month and moving to Prixtel, who are an SFR reseller, that should cost 22 euros/month. Also looked at AliceADSL but there are big charges for set up and cancelling the subscription but Alice do provide free phone calls.

So Free mobile is good, the Internet works ok from the phone but problems with download speeds when tethering.

Posted: 16 February 2013 06:13 PM   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-05-06

Phil, all good here. Astounding conditions - I assume it’s the same down south? Thanks for the advice, I have 3 weeks left on my contract and then I’ll jump ship, I won’t sign up for the internet as yet - we don’t get the TV option here, so little point at the moment. Plus the thought of messing up the transition gives me the shivers, I’m not so bothered about the phone!

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2013 10:56 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-02-03

Hi Gareth

I made the switch to Free about a year ago now, no regrets at all, great service, less down time than I had with either SFR or Bouygues, and better customer service.
Plus free calls to UK landlines from your moby, and free calls to french mobiles. I like both of them
And… The free box and the tv box that comes with it are great. The freebox is just stylish and has a funky clock on it. But the media box which either runs over wifi, or using the integrated ethernet over power line, is fantastic. I have it as a mapped network drive on my computer, and set my torrent client to download directly to it, and then just watch films straight off it, it saved me from buying a popcorn hour.

All in all, i highly recommend making the switch.

Hope you are having a good winter up north smile

P

Signature 

Phillip Ingle

Personal Website

Posted: 15 February 2013 10:44 PM  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-05-06

I’m thinking about giving up on SFR after 12 years. My monthly bills are on average 100€ so over the years SFR has sucked up quite a lot of cash from me! 20€ a month with free.fr seems too good to turn down - I’ve checked the free/Orange signal at my house - it comes from the same cell as the SFR signal so no worries there. I ordered an unlocked Nexus 4 so can pick and choose operators. Does anyone have an opinion?

Signature