This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Haute Savoie - 2 separate avalanches Sat Feb 4 - 1 dead, 1 injured in grave condition
Posted: 04 February 2012 11:30 PM  
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2006-01-30

France 3 is reporting 2 different avalanches today - http://alpes.france3.fr/info/haute-savoie--2-avalanches-72351440.html

Rough translation “A dutch skier has died in an avalanche in Thollon-les Memises, 54 years old he was off piste with 3 other people and was taken by a slide on Saturday 4 February. The rescuers found him partially buried in cardiac arrest, and he could not be resuscitated.

A separate slide at Sommand near Mieussy happened when a group of skiers led by an ESF instructor were off piste in lift-accessed terrain. The instructor was caught in the slide and she is hospitalised in Annecy in grave condition.

Professionals explain that we have very unique snow conditions with a large quantity of snow that has fallen over ground that was not yet frozen. The underlayer is therefore not stable but contains a huge snow pack on top of it, which is homogenous and only slightly transformed. It is therefore necessary to redouble your prudence in the mountains on the snow to avoid dramas such as this Saturday.”

Posted: 05 February 2012 12:25 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Yes a couple of nasty incidents. Avalanche risk 3 yesterday in the Haute Savoie and again today (Sunday) for the Chablais. Since Friday there has been a strong NE wind (la bise) which has caused a lot of snow transport of the 20-30cm of light powder that fell midweek. The continuing cold will destructure the snowpack, transforming the windslab back to powder - which will set up a weak layer for the next snowfall.

I’ve skied a lot at Praz sur Lys / Sommand. It is considered to be a family resort but there is some lift access off piste that is quite steep with some areas prone to full depth slides. Here are a couple of slides I took at Sommand in the spring of 2008 and 2009

Image1.jpg height=601 width=800

avy.jpg height=600 width=800

[ Edited: 05 February 2012 12:35 AM by davidof]

Posted: 05 February 2012 07:19 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

I think the accident happened Pointe de Velard or Haute-Fleury served by the Po chair. The slopes are west facing so under the influence of the Bise from the NE that has blown over the last few days and moved a lot of snow about. First serious avalanche incident in 40 years for Sommand.

Posted: 05 February 2012 09:43 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2005-05-06

I was skiing in the Chablais today, and saw plenty of small naturally released slabs.

Signature 

http://www.alpine-property.com