This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

how do I get fresh tracks in Chamonix Valley?
Posted: 22 November 2011 11:37 AM  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2008-11-05

Hi there Pistehors, thought I’d try asking a few questions to test you all out.

This is going to be my first winter in Cham after spending the summer here mountain biking and walking. From this I have seen a fair few areas I’d like to hit up on touring ski’s.

Its my girlfriend who likes Chamonix oh so much, I wouldn’t have necessarily chosen to come here, but for ski touring you can’t go far wrong can you? Except from what I hear the huge volume of people everywhere. I’ve been researching routes and blogs online trying to get a good idea for how to try get away from the masses. Does the Grand Montets really get that packed and tracked out?  From the ski area resource that as been put together on here is pretty good so thank you Davidof and Co.!

I’m hoping, along with ski touring partner who will also be in Chamonix this winter, to hit up le Tour and into Switzerland. If you ski down to Trient is it best to slog back up to France, or are there buses to Chatelard? What about the glaciers around there, do the crevasses get covered? Hopefully we can get up Flegere/Brevent and into the back towards the Fiz and Buet, even the desert de plate maybe which may be less crowded.

also i’ve see some lovely videos of fast freeriders(& monoboarders..) around the Signal near Montenvers station. Do peeps go up on the train, or traverse from Plan d’Midi?

and finally, what I call my powder ski’s are only 95mm underfoot, and the only rockered bit is from actually hitting rocks with the base.  I’m only small but they have always done for me, so will I literally be looked down on by chamonards for not having 130mm underfoot?

fat ski’s and skinny girls for life, Oli

Posted: 22 November 2011 03:07 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-01-16

Bus/Train back to Vallorcine, check your times.

Les Marecottes if there has been a good snowfall....although that gem is probably getting busy with the freeride crowd now…

If it is snowing heavily/poor viz, then go to Les Houches (ski down to the right of the Prarion gondola) and hit one of the paths down to the base station. You can do that all day with little interference…

There are some good descents in St Gervais (NE aspect of Mont Joly, also the W aspect off summit) and Les Contamines for easy touring/off piste....i think it is covered by the Pays du Mt Blanc pass or something, or you get free vouchers on teh main season pass.

Early season the Brevent/Flegere classics (combe de la gliere?/hotel slope/various couloirs) are hard enough to access that you’ll get good snow...never done it but there is supposedly a nice descent into Servoz (train back) from Brevent...also variations of entry into the Berard valley are good for touring too…

Grands Montets, generally it will be tracked out very quickly....the more committed lines/less obvious ones will be less tracked...i.e. the lower couloirs (phillipe, jeurema/chapeau) and the upper ones (rectiligne and others).

Late season, the ski mountaineering lines are good for fresh tracks too...although you’ll either need a guide or have good experience on glacial travel/mountaineering plus kit…

Also, Helbronner/Courmayeur are good too, although Courmayeur is a bit free-ridden out these days....

re: skis, doesn;t matter about width unless it is very deep....if you are touring a lot you probably want to stay light anyway.....

Posted: 22 November 2011 03:33 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

You’ll have a great time I’m sure. Getting first tracks? Well if you have a lift pass you need to find out when they run the first uplift and if you can get on it. Some of the local riders seem to get up very early with the piste patrollers but there seems to be one law for pro riders and one for the rest of us.

Obviously anything like the Valley Blanche / Grand Montets honeypots has a lot of skiers but even if you ski of the Aiguille du Midi then skin a bit you can soon find yourself petty much alone (apart from the helicopters). From GM across the valley you can tour up to a number of summits and cols and find yourself alone.

If you have a car somewhere like les Contamines offers routes into the Mont Blanc “backcountry” and there is stuff up behind the Brevent.

Posted: 22 November 2011 09:15 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-10-08

Yes, Chamonix (particularly GM) gets tracked out early, but it’s still a great place. If you’re planning on Trient, there’s a great alternative, which is to skin up to Col du Passon, then ski down the Tour glacier to le Tour, which is a nice short day tour. If you insist on going to Trient (and admittedly the col d’Arpette is worth the trip), consider going on to Hospice St Bernard for a night or two. Magical, mystical tour!

Posted: 22 November 2011 10:32 PM   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-05
Ross - 22 November 2011 03:07 PM

Bus/Train back to Vallorcine, check your times.

Les Marecottes if there has been a good snowfall....although that gem is probably getting busy with the freeride crowd now…

There are some good descents in St Gervais (NE aspect of Mont Joly, also the W aspect off summit) and Les Contamines for easy touring/off piste....i think it is covered by the Pays du Mt Blanc pass or something, or you get free vouchers on teh main season pass.

Early season the Brevent/Flegere classics (combe de la gliere?/hotel slope/various couloirs) are hard enough to access that you’ll get good snow...never done it but there is supposedly a nice descent into Servoz (train back) from Brevent...also variations of entry into the Berard valley are good for touring too…

re: skis, doesn;t matter about width unless it is very deep....if you are touring a lot you probably want to stay light anyway.....

Didn’t know Les Marecottes existed, ta for that!

Have you done Pointe d’Areu above Sallanches?  Dream of it every time I drive the autoroute towards Geneve.

Down to Servoz I’d imagine there are limitless options if the snow is good. I know of bikers who have done big loops from Brevent starting on the GR towards Sixt and then down to Servoz.  I’ve only ridden to Aiguille des Houches (i think) which would leave you in a great position to ski down towards Les Houches or Servoz.

my proper touring ski’s are 82mm underfoot, atomic freedreams and I still love them in almost all conditions! i was just joking around with pretenious ski bums and fatness/rocker.  Bit like the downhill mountain bikers looking down on any one on anything other than 4 grands of downhill bike.

Davidof tell me about the ‘chopters.  the helicopters are on almost constant service to rescues in winter i guess.

chamcham i’m a big fan of le tour in the summer so would like to do some winter stuff in the area.  the area off Tour glacier looks good! and your magical tour sounds like its worth reading into…

thanks so far everyone!

Posted: 23 November 2011 02:00 PM   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2009-11-09

Some very good general info here, plus a few specific routes.

http://www.chamonet.com/ski/info/backcountry-ski-touring.html

there are a couple of good guide books-

http://www.amazon.com/Chamonix-Pistes-Off-Piste-English-French/dp/2910672107

For lift served stuff, and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1904207278?ie=UTF8&tag=chamonixnet0c&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=1904207278

Which includes some extreme descents so use with caution but a great read and very comprehensive.

The “side country” gets hammered very quickly, on powder days it pays to be early, also go for the less obvious, like Les Houches.

People have their secret stashes but I am afraid I can tell you where mine arewink

Posted: 23 November 2011 02:20 PM   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-05
juice - 23 November 2011 02:00 PM

Some very good general info here, plus a few specific routes.

http://www.chamonet.com/ski/info/backcountry-ski-touring.html

The “side country” gets hammered very quickly, on powder days it pays to be early, also go for the less obvious, like Les Houches.

People have their secret stashes but I am afraid I can tell you where mine arewink

I’ve seen that chamonet sutff before.  I was very surprised by the quality of it for the type of site it comes from.

thats the trouble with starting somwhere new, you have to work everything out, though Pistehors is helpful friend.  if i went back to to other resorts I’ve done seasons I’d know exactly where to go.

but part of the fun of ‘the outdoors’ is hitting something for the first time.  your first descent on a particular piece of singletrack is always highly memorable. something i almost crave like heroin.  legalize and regulate singletrack!

Posted: 23 November 2011 02:49 PM   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2009-11-09

The chamonet stuff was mainly written by a guy I was sharing a house with, I agree with the first time rush, thats the dilemma it will sometimes be great and other times a mission. I guess its all part of the adventure. Some of the best off piste days I have had, have been at le Tour no crevasses to worry about, but watch out for avalanches in the back bowls.

Posted: 24 November 2011 08:59 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2005-07-28

Buy the guide book Mont Blanc ski tours, it covers the whole area. I recommend the touring at the head of the Les Contamines vallley as it is generally uncrowded and there are some fabulous day tours such as Col de Chassure if conditions are good.

Posted: 29 November 2011 06:18 PM   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-01-22
ChamonixFirst - 27 November 2011 08:40 PM

Hi everyone at Pistehors! Good post for people looking for back country in Chamonix. 
As previously stated, the main problem is that on powder days it does seem every man and his skis gets out at the crack of dawn to grab some fresh tracks and the fresh powder vanishes quick sharp. 
After several years here we know lots of people who’s main aim every powder day is to get fresh lines so its no surprise really once you include holiday makers etc etc.
The good news is though is that if you do look at say Chamonet you get an idea of how much offpiste their is available in Chamonix so if you really want to find fresh tracks - you will be able to!
Personally I find that every time I venture over to Courmayeur I always find powder, even late on in the day.

Cheers
Phil

http://www.chamonixfirst.com/en/home/

Wow, yet another transfer company based in Chamonix. How many is that now? grin Seriously, that must be a tough market to compete in, there must be a dozen or so companies doing that by now?

Posted: 03 December 2011 11:41 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2009-12-28

Re your skis Chamonix skiers take pride in being able to ski on any kit. Anything goes. Unlike other resorts where even the beginners are on 100+ twin tips!

Posted: 04 December 2011 09:29 AM   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  544
Joined  2006-01-24

When I’m there even the nordic skiers have 120mm rockers & a couple of ice screws hanging off a harness grin

you should visit Switzerland, the width of the ski is inversely proportional to how far from piste you’ll see it.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 04 December 2011 02:27 PM   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-05
ise - 04 December 2011 09:29 AM

When I’m there even the nordic skiers have 120mm rockers & a couple of ice screws hanging off a harness grin

grin