News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Lost
Posted: 24 October 2011 09:03 PM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Do you really need to know where you are all the time or just where you are going to and how to get there? Can’t you just follow the occasional sign post as you head for a pass or summit?

Knowing where you are at any moment can be extremely useful if you have to call the rescue services. Take the case of Dr. Claude Bivord from Belgium. Walking in the Aiguilles Rouges he hurt his leg and wasn’t able to continue. Not a problem, he called the Chamonix PGHM with his mobile. Only problem, he didn’t know where he was, he’d left the normal walking path and was in a valley somewhere above Vallorcine. The PGHM localized the phone signal but to a 9km search area (mobile phone masts are not that close in the mountains).

That was back in 2009. On Sunday a hunter came across the unfortunate Doctor’s remains in the combe de la Loriaz, mobile phone still clutched in his fingers.

Posted: 26 October 2011 12:00 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2005-02-06

Something to forward to my girlfriend who always take’s the piss that I have a map, compass, 35 litre pack full of survial kit, extra clothing and pace out my route on every day hike we take in the mountains during the summer months.  I’m praying for the day the weather properly closes in on us so I can ask her if she knows where we are, is she cold and and which direction is the car smile

Posted: 01 November 2011 03:08 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-07-28

A sobering thought!

Signature 

Mountain Tracks
mountaintracks.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for regular updates on mountain conditions, news and views.