This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Help Please!! summer skiing in Tignes
Posted: 14 June 2009 05:10 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-06-14

Hi, I hope someone out there can help me.

Im going to Tignes next week (22nd) to ski in the mornings and mountain bike in the afternoons - or at least thats the plan!

All the hire shops seem to be closed at the moment as the season doesnt start until next weekend (I daren’t leave getting hire sorted until then!!).

Does anyone have experiance of hiring skis or mountain bikes in Tignes in the summer?

Any advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted: 16 June 2009 05:22 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-04-17

Hi Hels

You are right, v little open (nothing!) which village are you staying in, I may be able to point you in the right direction. Although nothing open we have local knowledge!

Best wishes

+33(0)4 79 06 45 30 or

Signature 

Alpaka Lodge
Tignes le Lac
73320 France
http://www.alpaka.com
+33 (0)4 79 06 45 30

Posted: 17 June 2009 04:03 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2009-06-14

Thank you so much for responding – im getting very disheartened about the whole thing – not the way you should be looking forward to a holiday!!

I fear we have been somewhat miss sold this holiday by Alpine Elements too early in the season!

We are staying in Les Brevieres, but know the skiing is from Val Claret. I have done loads of unsuccessful research but AE have assured us that we will be able to get skis in resort, but haven’t said where!

The plan was to ski in the morning and mountain bike in the afternoon and the riding seems to be going t*t’s up as well!

We asked specifically if the MTB trails (Gypsy, Gunpowder, black metal etc) were still open as the ‘bike park’ is closed and we were told yes, and that the ‘bike park’ is just a small skills area. However, this is contrary to all the other info. we have since found which suggests that if the ‘bike park’ is closed so are the trails!

Do you know if the trails are open to ride? At the moment we fear a very dull holiday with no ski’s, no decent MTB trails and a rubbish weather forecast!!

Thanks so much for any advice.

Posted: 17 June 2009 05:44 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Joined  2008-04-17

The bad news is the lifts for MTB`s open the weekend after, when you leave, sorry. The glacier opens Sat 20th and we can get you sorted with skis etc if AE can`t, as far as we are aware there are no hire shops till the weekend after too.

Most other activities open this weekend coming so there are other things to do, you can use trails down to Bourg st Maurice and get AE to collect you. You can descend to Les Brevieres from here on tracks too which are good and use AE to ferry you around, pourquoi pas?

If you need any more info, dont hesitate to call/email.

Maybe see you when here coz there is not much else open and we are a locals bar.

Bon Vacances

Signature 

Alpaka Lodge
Tignes le Lac
73320 France
http://www.alpaka.com
+33 (0)4 79 06 45 30

Posted: 17 June 2009 06:13 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2009-06-14

That’s disappointing, but really useful information thanks.

I think I may need to go kick up a fuss at AE and look at changing the week we visit. I’m not very impressed at them selling this week under false pretences!

Thanks again. We will come & buy you a beer if and when we finally get to Tignes!

Posted: 19 June 2009 11:23 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-08-20

I feel very sorry for you, its not the first time AE have done this though, I know of someone who was sold a mtb holiday in morzine under the pretence that the lifts would be open when in fact the season was over. Kick up and big fuss and say what has happenned on snowheads.com and southerndownhill.com as these are both forums that are very popular with their target audience. Their reputation on southerdownhill is already awful anyway. Hope you still manage to have a fun week

Posted: 22 July 2009 09:25 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Joined  2008-03-25

I dont know what the situation was in June but for the past few summers always around the car park in front the funiculare in Val Claret wihthin walking distance you wcan find ski shops and hire places.
Not taken ski gear though from there, because always use my own equipment, summer and winter.

Posted: 04 August 2009 03:59 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-08-04

I thing that Les Deux Alpes can offer you much more than Tinges in this period, and for less money…