News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

B3s for touring?
Posted: 18 March 2009 01:51 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-03-18

Hi

I’m looking at some Bandit B3 Freeride skis (bought in the States in Feb 2005) and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on their suitability for ski-touring?

I’m setting off on the Haute Route in 2 1/2 weeks (getting excited!) and had planned to hire skis, but am now wondering whether it would make more sense to buy a pair and fit them out with touring bindings etc.

They are 185cm, which is about 5cm more than I might normally go for.  I’m 81kg and 6’2” and am more interested in off-pite performance than piste ski-ing, though clearly this trip will involve a fair amount of shuffling so that’s also a consideration.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Kind regards

Bill

Posted: 19 March 2009 11:55 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

You probably know that they made a B3 touring version called the Respect. This was a B3 with less reinforcement so it was both lighter and softer. I think the B3 is a reasonably light ski and people are touring a lot more on wider skis these days (the Snoop Daddy seems to get used a lot).

My main concern would be who you are touring with? If they are all on super light-weight gear you may find the day’s are hard work, depends on how fit you are. On the haute route there are some timing constraints which mean you have to climb to a schedule. With wider skis you end up breaking trail again even if there is already a ski track as most people don’t tour on more than 80-82mm. That said, if the snow is at all difficult the B3s will do the business. Given your weight / height I would have thought something in the 178-180cm range rather than 185 would be better for touring.

Did you consider fitting Dynafits to the B3, this would save you over 1kg compared to a Diamir or Naxo.

Posted: 31 March 2009 11:02 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-07-05

Bill, I am an off piste fanatic and my 2 pairs of skis are B3’s with Diamir Freeride bindings, which I use for touring, and B94’s with Duke Bindings for skiing. I’m 6’3” and have had NO problem with either set up for the last 3 seasons.
Enjoy!
Erik

Posted: 01 April 2009 11:53 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

For some reason Rossignol kit has fallen out of fashion the last few years - it probably just does the job too efficiently. I see Sport Conrad have the B3’s on promo at 199 euros (plus postage) at the moment in 184cm - maybe a bit long for most tourers though.

http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?disp=artikel&art_nr=70006006