This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Thermo formed liners and ski boot heating devices…. a bad idea?
Posted: 25 March 2009 02:03 PM  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-10-29

I just wanted to share a little experience I had.
I was on ski holiday with my gf in Samnaun (eastern Switz) last week, and the ski room in the building had one of those fancy ski boot drying/warming devices. It’s a bunch of wall mounted U chaped metal hooks you push your boots onto. The hooks are on a timer and warm up a few hours before skiers come down to collect their equipment.

I used it the first night, but noticed the next morning that my thermo formed intuition liner had deep indentations where the hook rested on the liner. Whilst I didn’t really feel it when wearing the boots, these dents are still there today.

Is there a general rule not to use such devices on thermo formable liners? Has anyone else experienced this?

In any case, I’ll be bringing my liners into the appartment for drying from now on…

Liners I use:
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_10_148&products_id=3892

Posted: 26 March 2009 02:19 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Thermo boot makers do warn about drying inner boots to close to radiators and stoves. I didn’t think the boot deviced generated that much heat though. Something to be aware of. I normally dry my liners in the sun after a trip… of course that needs some sunshine and a finish that is not too late in the day.

Posted: 29 March 2009 12:28 PM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2006-05-01

This type of boot drier wrecked a pair of moulded footbeds for me a few years ago. One was shrivelled into a crease when my boots were placed on these pegs overnight. The ski shop in Nendaz where this happened denied all liability. Cost of replacements £100.