News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Gear advice
Posted: 01 March 2009 01:27 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-03-01

Hi…
Can anyone tell me the difference between all-mountain and all-round skis? I first thought they were the same but I found out that some brands have both categories.

Thanks…

Posted: 01 March 2009 11:35 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2008-08-05

filip,

do you want to ski off-piste?  then take the all mounatain.

all-round probably means mediocre.
dont get too confused by all the rubbish and if in doubt go fatter, with some side cut. good luck! ski you later

Posted: 02 March 2009 10:01 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Yes I agree with that. All round strikes me as a piste oriented ski. You have to be careful about marketing. Atomic, to name but one manufacturer, markets its skis with different topsheets for different users. For example the R86 (telemark) and Atomic Nomad Blackeye (all mountain carving) are the same ski but with different prices. Atomic do this a lot.

Posted: 02 March 2009 01:05 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Joined  2009-03-01

Hi again…

Thanks for the info! I’ll look at the all-mountain then.

And that information about the atomic skis is great!

Do you know if there is any posted list about information regarding “exactly same skis but different brands”? It would be really useful when trying to choose between brands and models…
e.g. atomic and salomon are both “amer sports” brands. Do you know if they are produced in the same factory and with the same tech?

Thks

Posted: 03 March 2009 08:52 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Salomon moved ski production to Amer I believe. I imagine a lot of the bread and butter skis get made in eastern europe or China now. What were you looking to do? One of the best all mountain skis is the Atomic Sweet Daddy (which was also sold as the Atomic MX:15 touring ski). It is fairly lightweight so can be toured (I did over 2000 vertical meters on mine on Saturday) and not too shaped so holds an edge well and is wide and stiff enough to tackly difficult snow. You can get the 2007 model for 195 euros from Sport Conrad in German. too.

http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?lang_id=ENG

Posted: 05 March 2009 04:38 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2009-03-01

Thanks for the info Davidof… I’ll have a look at the link.