This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

the jura in spring
Posted: 30 January 2009 08:21 PM  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2008-11-05

it looks like im going to have to cut my winter short as the company i work for in the summer needs me by the end of march,

im going to be working in the Jura.  Its not all lost though, of course im taking my mountain bikes, but i saw you had a day out in the Jura the other week.  The resorts are only small, but are they high enough to have spring tours? april may time or are they likely to be loosing snow.

cheers for now!

Posted: 01 February 2009 10:02 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  544
Joined  2006-01-24

locals talk of the high passes needing bulldozing in May to open them but in the years I’ve lived nearby snow much in April has been exceptional. That said, it’s quite a long range, where do you mean exactly?

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’EpicĂ©a, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 02 February 2009 12:13 PM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2008-11-05

im going to be living on a campsite on the side of lac de chalain.  I will have a car/van so am willing to drive.

bulldozing high passes in may sounds good to me. haha. best keep my chains at the ready!

Posted: 02 February 2009 11:27 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

On the French side last year we toured to the start of April.

If you look at this photo the solid red line is 2008. There was snow at 800 m (thoiry, gex etc) until early April but snow on the summits was present through to early May. If you stay high (there are a few huts such as one above Thoiry) you could do a traverse of the Jura in mid April I reckon.

prealps.png

Posted: 05 February 2009 06:26 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-10-08

hi

ive heard there is some pritty good touring in the tarentaise especially round courchevel and the neigbouring vanoise area, id give up on the jura if i was you.