This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Lapland for boarding?
Posted: 15 January 2009 03:42 AM  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-01-15

I have heard that Levi in Lapland is a good place to go snowboarding?

I found these levi-lapland.com and Levi Resort Review which make it sound pretty good…

Has anyone been and can recommend (before I start spending my hard earned cash)....

:?

Posted: 15 January 2009 07:35 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2008-08-05

montyborad, check out how much vertical there is, i doubt there is a lot :-(

Posted: 15 January 2009 11:09 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-01-15

Hey,

Thanks McHardski. I am not sure I need that much vert yet as I am still beginner to intermediate.. confident on blues and reasonable on reds.

I guess if I can work up to the world cup black run and maybe dabble in the snow park a bit it would keep me entertained for a while?

Does anyone know what the conditions are like there this year?

Cheers!!

Posted: 23 January 2009 11:44 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Joined  2008-08-05

Hey, You could try http://www.skiinfo.no and see if it gives you a hit, sometimes covers non norwegian resorts.

I,m not certain, but it is prob a very continental climate up there, and obviously its way North, so i,d guess they get few snowfalls but what they do get lasts for months.  i.e it will be very very cold. e.g. -20 degc. any wind will make it unbearable if you are not a local! grin.  Dont expect the facilities to be as good as what one comes to expect in the Alps. Also, you will prob have to fly with SAS from Stockholm or Helsinki etc and it wont be cheap.

My opinion is you would be best to get first hand account of what it is like before investing your money to go there.  Otherwise there plenty of nice warmer places in Southern europe that would be cheaper…

cheers good luck

Alan

Posted: 23 January 2009 12:01 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2008-08-05

hey, i now actually had a look at the website, and does look pretty nice!  i tried to link to a picture of Nothern lights taken from a town called Narvik, in Norway, but up at those latitudes.  It didnt work though.

Posted: 23 January 2009 02:33 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-03-29

I lived in Finland for two years and visited Levi at least fifteen times.  I learnt telemark there and I think there are few places better to *learn* telemark.
+ no moguls
+ no real steep stuff
+ enough vertical 400+ metres to get telemarked thighs burning
+ north and south aspects
+ usually packed powder, not ice, as it’s so cold up there in Lapland (60th parallel, whereas Alps are 45th parallel) which I think suits learners snowboarding too
+ international airport is 10/15 minutes from the ski resort smile

Also seeing the Northern lights in the sky several times was very very cool.

The Hullu Poro ("crazy reindeer") was the best night club.  But that was 1997-1999 and I think there’s been heaps of development and more ski lifts put in since then.

=> I’d recommend it.

[ Edited: 24 January 2009 03:23 AM by GuyNich]