This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

wide dynafit crampons
Posted: 26 December 2008 09:53 AM  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2006-01-24

I’ve just moved my TLT speeds onto my Black Diamond Voodoo’s (and they ski great) and realised that my crampons wont fit, the ski is 88mm underfoot and I’ve got the 82mm crampons from my old skis. Ironically, I’ve rarely used those, I’ve tended to use the skis they came of as a lap ski and not needed crampons.

I know dynafit do a 92mm crampon which Telemark Pyrenees say are good upto 88mm. But, I’m thinking of putting Dynafits onto my 95mm Kilowatts, does anyone know of a crampon that will work at 95mm?

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’Epicéa, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 26 December 2008 10:18 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

One thing to be aware of is that traversing on wide skis where you might need crampons puts a lot of torque on the boot/binding/crampon combo. The Despite being made of some kind of aluminium alloy the Dynafit bindings are extremely hard to bend, I found this out at Dynafit France when we wanted to bend one of the 80mm crampons to fit an 80mm pair of skis. Impossible without a press.

An alternative are these guys

http://www.bndskigear.com/dynafitcrampons.html

with the Swiss Franc strong I would have thought they would be quite good value.

Posted: 26 December 2008 10:25 AM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-24
davidof - 26 December 2008 10:18 AM

One thing to be aware of is that traversing on wide skis where you might need crampons puts a lot of torque on the boot/binding/crampon combo. The Despite being made of some kind of aluminium alloy the Dynafit bindings are extremely hard to bend, I found this out at Dynafit France when we wanted to bend one of the 80mm crampons to fit an 80mm pair of skis. Impossible without a press.

An alternative are these guys

http://www.bndskigear.com/dynafitcrampons.html

with the Swiss Franc strong I would have thought they would be quite good value.

I’d seen those b&d somewhere else but they do look like something some bloke knocked up in his shed grin

I’ve just found the Voile ones as well :

http://www.voile-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=2070_&Category_Code=CMPN&Product_Count=0

I like the Voile idea of being ski mounted, I find having to drop the riser to get the crampons to bite a real pain sometimes (compared to Fritschi)

What I can’t understand is how the Voile would work with something like the FT or ST which I was thinking of putting on the Kilowatts though, in fact I presume they’re not going to work.

Signature 

Posted: 26 December 2008 05:28 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-05-05

ise 99% sure dynafit now do a 100mm crampon. Was offered these recently while purchasing a pair of FT12s.

Posted: 26 December 2008 05:29 PM   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2008-05-05

(As to whether you’d want to use them is another story...)

Posted: 26 December 2008 05:31 PM   [ # 5 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2008-05-05

Actually no ignore those last posts, it was a 100mm brakes i was offered...max crampon width still 92mm

Posted: 26 December 2008 06:24 PM   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-24
offpisteskiing - 26 December 2008 05:31 PM

Actually no ignore those last posts, it was a 100mm brakes i was offered...max crampon width still 92mm

I think that’s a telling commentary on this new generation of touring gear and how it’s going to be used, a lot of these products will never be used for actual touring so Dynafit offer 100mm brakes but no crampons, Fritschi have never bothered to make an Axion wider than 82mm. Despite some of the fantasy posts on some other forums in truth in Europe you’re not going to see people actually using fat skis for touring, I’ve yet to see anyone with fatter skis than mine (88mm) in a hut.

I reckon it’ll be rare I’d want to use crampons on the Kilowatts which is partly why I want to use a single pair between the 88mm and 95mm’s.

Signature 

Posted: 26 December 2008 08:55 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Lou Dawson recently speculated on his blog (http://wildsnow.com) that Dynafit would see more problems with their binding due to the slew of heavy freeride oriented but Dynafit compatible boots that are coming out. Coupled with wide skis and perhaps skiers who can rip it up they can generate a lot of force.

Posted: 26 December 2008 09:48 PM   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-24
davidof - 26 December 2008 08:55 PM

Lou Dawson recently speculated on his blog (http://wildsnow.com) that Dynafit would see more problems with their binding due to the slew of heavy freeride oriented but Dynafit compatible boots that are coming out. Coupled with wide skis and perhaps skiers who can rip it up they can generate a lot of force.

of course I rip it up big time grin I hucked it large only yesterday, at one point one of my skis was nearly totally off the ground.....

getting some stuff to match is hard, I’ve been using my endorphins the last few weeks but I can’t get on with them like I do with my megarides. The megaride is just the perfect boot to me, loads of ankle flex, tons of feedback and I know what’s going on under my feet all the time but after wrecking them last season I’m nervous about using them on the Kilowatts, but they’re so good I’ll take the risk and try it. If nothing else Garmont sent me some spare parts if only I could recall where I put them.

Looking in more detail, I reckon the ST will work with the Voile crampons which will be fine. I’m pretty sure I’ll ending up using them a bit, I tend just to pick the same skis and boots up each day, if I swap I spend the day comparing skis or boots and it’s distracting. I may just get another set of TLT speeds, they’re light and easy afterall.

Signature 

Posted: 27 December 2008 09:57 AM   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2008-05-05

ise I’ve skied with a couple of folks who have mounted dynafits on 90 ish skis (<95). General consensus seems to be its easier to swap to proper crampons beyond a certain point rather than bother with couteaux…
Personally can remember teetering about on Fritschis extra wide couteaux on steep bullet-proof pre-dawn spring snow and feeling really insecure…

Posted: 08 January 2009 05:03 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2003-10-26

I ordered the 100mm ski crampons from the address above (http://www.bndskigear.com/)

Delivery took about 1 week, cost is about 65 euros incl P&P with payment by Paypal. The crampons are good quality and seem to work well, even on my fat skis.

Posted: 15 January 2009 01:20 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2004-01-18

I have a pair of (http://www.bndskigear.com/) crampons that I use with Kilowatts and Karhu Jak BC (97mm), both mounted with TLT Speed bindings. They come with a screw on block that serves 2 purposes. It strengthens the wide crampon and acts as a riser so the crampon is fully engaged in mid-level and only looses 2 cm of grip when you’re in the high post.

The crampons are very basic in design, but not that different from early dynafit models.