News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Gear advice sought
Posted: 24 November 2008 05:17 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-11-24

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I just moved to Switzerland from the west coast (US) where we enjoyed light deep powder and mogul skiing. I weigh 180 lbs @ 5’ 10” and my wife is 140 lbs @ 5’ 10”.

What skis and bindings/boots should we buy for searching out off-piste powder (Freerando)?
We like to make lots of short radius turns and don’t care about speed at all.
When the snow gets heavy or hard we use our bump skis on-piste.
When the conditions turn icy we go home.

Thanks

Posted: 25 November 2008 01:11 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2006-05-01

PowderBob, certain Swiss resorts are running the Swiss Ski Test currently. I think it runs into December. That could give you access to brands like Movement and Scott, which could suit your needs. I recently returned from the test in Zermatt, where (for me) the outstanding ride was the Movement Black Rose, which I found light, springy, manouverable and thoroughly desirable! For your wife not you though. I’m 164cms 5’4, and took out a 175 pair.

For boots, that would depend on how far you want to walk for your powder?

Posted: 25 November 2008 09:06 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-11-24

Thanks for the info Bandit.

I’m starting to lean toward the Atomic Snoop Daddy with Diamir Freeride Plus. It’s a Freeride mid fat ski that should handle the powder well and some user reviews say they are using them for day/short tours.

Ciao

Posted: 27 November 2008 04:19 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  109
Joined  2006-03-05

PowderBob

If you are not specially looking for speed and rather like smaller turn, you could look at the “new” generation of wide touring skis - gaining weight without loosing pleasure - and choose one with a tighter radius than the Snoop Daddy. Dynastar, Movement, Atomic, Dynafit and others are presenting touring skis relatively wide (80+ to 90) that could fit the bill.

Wishing you loads of powder grin

‹‹ AT Bindings      Igloo building kit ››