This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Avalanche: Xavier Delerue
Posted: 22 November 2008 11:31 AM  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  109
Joined  2006-03-05

Loads of fresh snow are on their way - we hope - but they come with wind and high avalanche risks. It is a good reminder to watch Xavier Delerue’s video on the huge avalanche that he was lucky to survive, and listen to his comments. Even the best may become overconfident and neglect to correctly interpret the signs when the euphoria of skiing develops…

... A good skier is an old skier!

http://www.zapiks.fr/xavier-delerue-avalanche-et-.html

Posted: 24 November 2008 10:35 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Xavier is lucky that he is a very strong snowboarder, most of us would have been taken at the top and carried a long way down the hill. There are other tracks on the mountain, including what look like some ski tourer climbing tracks, although at 14h00 one would hope that they would be well out of the way. The slope isn’t taking too much sun but warming temperatures could have caused some snow creep in the soft slab that took Xavier weakening any bonds with bed.

Posted: 24 November 2008 10:37 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

By the way how is the snow over your way? I will be in C.F on the first weekend of Saturday and am wondering whether to pack my skis!

Posted: 24 November 2008 08:05 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-05

Snow is coming. This was not touching the bottom yesterday noon at Puy de Sancy:

web.jpg

But skiing material was in average more like this…

web.jpg

I guess this week end the couloirs will be skiable… Let’s see!

The resorts are noisingly spreading artificial snow but there is no official opening date yet - may be this Saturday say some…

Posted: 25 November 2008 11:47 AM   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-05

Skis may even come handy!

115131.jpg