This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

AT Bindings
Posted: 13 November 2008 08:48 PM  
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2008-03-27

I currently use Fritsci Freerides.  They’ve worked great for me.  I’ve used a Naxo set up, but I prefered the Frtisci, for easy operation at the least.  I’m getting very interested in trying out a Dynafit system.  What bindings do all of you use?

Signature 

Dongshow Productions

Posted: 14 November 2008 03:43 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2006-10-28

I have a couple sets of Naxo 01 Touring and a set of Naxo 21.  Last year we were skiing in the valais region and I broke a Naxo 01.  To much ski for the binding and I am not exactly easy on stuff.  Other than that I have been on them for 5 years with no problem.  Probably wouldnt purchase another set of 01 but would look at some Dynafit and Naxo 21.

Posted: 14 November 2008 07:30 AM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2008-03-27
Mongo - 14 November 2008 03:43 AM

To much ski for the binding and I am not exactly easy on stuff.

I have the same feeling constantly.  Fritschi Freerides struggle with my wider skis on steep side hills.  I often end up swung to the side and miss the heel riser, which worries me.  The last thing I want is for them to fall apart, which is why I’m interested in Dynafits.

Signature 

Dongshow Productions

Posted: 14 November 2008 10:07 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

I’ve used Dynafits since around the turn of the century. I would note that Doug Coombs also used to ski Dynafits with wide skis. You need to check that the 100mm ski crampons are available where you are for your wide skis. The brakes are the worst part although some people do get them to work but most folk end up touring with leashes.

Dynafits are a bit of a religion in the Grenoble (Fr) touring scene. I tend to be more pragmatic and also have Fritschis IIs and some Evos (lightweight binding similar to the Fritschi but can take mountaineering boots easily). I’ve also used Naxos and Silvretta Pures over the last couple of years on loan skis. The Naxo is a nice, comfortable binding to tour with but the dual pivot has always worried me. The Silvretta Pure works well and has a well placed pivot point behind the toe.

The Dynafits are not indestructible as some of the zealots will have you believe. All the plastic stuff can break, especially in the cold. The toe pieces are prone to icing. Still hard to argue against 700 grammes as opposed to 2000+ for Fritchis. They also have a DIN 12 rated binding now for heavier skiers. The main problem again with wider skis would be the leverage on the toe piece, basically you need to make sure the toe piece is properly locked for traverses.

Posted: 16 November 2008 12:05 PM   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  109
Joined  2006-03-05

There are Dynafit, Freeride, Silvretta… in the family. I have Dynafit Vertical FT on fat skis (92mm 185cm long) and they perfectly do the job. Ski brakes do work, but there are no ski crampons - anyway skis this wide are better on the backpack when the snow gets hard and steep.

I made a “simple and stupid” comparison on lateral torsion by fitting boots in the bindings and testing by hand how they resist laterally. This is not scientific but I felt higher torsion resistance with the Dynafit than with the Freeride.

Personally, given the generally good experience with Dynafits, I would rather put weight in a wider and stiffer ski than in a heavier binding wink