This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Where to ski in a weekend in Chamonix
Posted: 09 October 2008 11:15 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-10-09

Went to cham for the first time last winter - in and out in a weekend. Skied the Plan des petits envers with a guide - which was nice.
Going back again in Jan for a weekend (family pressures mean no time for more) and want to make the most of the trip.
Where should we head? I’ve got a hankering for the Pas De Chevre, and I’ve heard of the good routes off the back of the Grand Montets, but we’re only there for a few days and don’t want to mince about, or get caught out trying to manage the impossible.
We’re all pretty good skiers, relatively mountain aware and have a healthy fear of dying unnecessarily.
Would really appreciate any good input as to what would be a good use of the three days?

Posted: 10 October 2008 07:20 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-10-08

Get a guide. I’ve skied with Yves Salino for the last three years. Each time, bad weather meant Cham was closed for at least some of the time, and he took us to find powder in Megeve, Courmayeur, the back of le Tour. Plus, you get personalised tuition, and he takes you to the best bars - he particularly likes Chambre Neuf - “Ah, zee Sweedish girlzz,” as he aptly put it! We also did the Vallee Blanche by night, but that’s another story…
Email him at

Posted: 14 October 2008 11:45 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

I agree with Chamcham, if your time is precious get a guide who will know which routes are in condition. Snow cover is generally quite thin still in January and it can be cold high up (well not last season, it was like spring). Pas de Chevre might be a plan. I’ve not skied it but both the entrance and exit are tricky.

There are lots of guides, apart from Yves Salino a collective like Chamonix Experience (http://www.chamex.com/) could sort you out. You should have your pick in January.

Posted: 14 October 2008 06:37 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-10-14

I know it is great to get ideas of what you want to do beforehand - however, a LOT depends on the snow conditions when you are out in Cham!  As a local, I can recommend James Kaler of Kariboo Adventure for a great Chamonix guide.  He will definitely take you to the right place - even if it is Italy!