This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Training Loops Website
Posted: 09 January 2013 08:49 PM  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2004-01-10

Having viewed the latest tour “TR: Lances de Malissard Tour” and noted the link to the “Training Loops” website, it brought back memories of a similar resource that listed “tours” for walking, ski touring, snow-shoeing and ski touring in the Haute savoie (http://www.rando-grand-massif.com). Alas this website has been down for a couple of years but I have managed to recover some of the original content via the “wayback machine” (http://archive.org), but without any images. Like the “Training Loops” web, images of landmarks and the map are really helpful.The route description really helps, too.
It would be great if others could be encouraged to contribute their tours to the “Training Loops” web to build an exceptionally useful resource.

Posted: 10 January 2013 06:33 PM   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  270
Joined  2008-01-31

What’s the advantage of posting to a generic running/cycling website, as opposed to posting an “outing” report with GPS track to CampToCamp.org (which permits uploads of .GPX files and photos), or to skitour.fr (I haven’t checked if it can include .GPX or .KML files)

I’ve posted several English-language trip reports to CampToCamp.org (or “C2C")
Even an English-language Route description—with GPS track.

Ken

Posted: 11 January 2013 08:40 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Hi Phil

Trainingloops is based on some software I’m working on. There is a new release coming soon. It was really somewhere for me to experiment with some ideas but I’m going to adapt the format for Pistehors. Unlike skitour for example I’m going to put much more emphasis on snow conditions for TR rather than showing off to your mates who are unfortunately stuck at work on a powder day!

Watch this space.

Posted: 11 January 2013 05:34 PM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2004-01-10

Both C2C and Skitour are excellent resources and I scan them for info a lot but, I just like the fresh approach Training Loops has brought to the scene, together with the cross section of additional pursuits available.
Training Loops has a fresh and uncluttered presence and appears to have hit on just the right amount of info that I need.
I realise it is in Beta as the menu does need some tidying up but as David has intimated, this may be in the pipeline.
Keep up the good work, David.