This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Updated BeaconReviews.com
Posted: 13 November 2012 03:29 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-11-16

I recently updated BeaconReviews.com for the 2012-2013 season. And I’m glad to announce that Jonathan Shefftz, previously with WildSnow.com, is now writing for BeaconReviews.com.

Here are the main changes:

* Added a page about search strip widths
* Updated the transceiver comparison table and the airbags page
* Added preliminary information about the new Ortovox Zoom+
* Added information about Black Diamond purchasing Pieps
* Updated the rumors about the Pieps Vector and the Tracker3
* And a whole bunch of other stuff…

My latest project might be more newsworthy, at least for people in Utah. I’ve developed maps (both online and printed) that contain the names of “all” of the backcountry ski locations along the Central Wasatch mountain range. You can watch a three-minute video about the maps or go directly to the online map at WasatchBackcountrySkiing.com.

Stay Safe,

Steve Achelis
BEACONREVIEWS.COMEMEDIC.COMMOUNTAINRESPONDER.COMVRIGGER.COMSMARTMEDIC.COMWMIQUIZ.COM

[ Edited: 13 November 2012 03:44 PM by Steve Achelis]

Posted: 13 November 2012 10:37 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Thanks for the updates, interesting stuff and it will be good to have Jonathan on board.

Just to highjack the thread a bit Jake Herbert sent me this link on transceiver interference with the Go-Pro

http://www.facewest.co.uk/facewestblog/2012/11/06/go-pro-warning-for-transceiver-users/

Posted: 14 November 2012 12:06 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-11-16

Thanks for the thanks. And I agree re Jonathan. More interesting that the Go-Pro article is the fact that he’s testing an Ortovox Zoom+. I hear they’re working through the FCC’s approval process now to get into the USA.

Posted: 14 November 2012 08:33 AM   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2004-01-10

All good stuff. I particularly like the Wasatch Back Country Video application and the availability of a paper map. It would be good if there was a European version(for localised areas) - there are bits dotted around the web but I do not know of anythig so comprehensive.

Posted: 14 November 2012 03:21 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2010-11-16
phil - 14 November 2012 08:33 AM

All good stuff. I particularly like the Wasatch Back Country Video application and the availability of a paper map. It would be good if there was a European version(for localised areas) - there are bits dotted around the web but I do not know of anythig so comprehensive.

Thanks Phil. After creating the online and paper maps, I now understand why there are only “bits” and nothing comprehensive for most areas--it was a lot of work. I’m glad I did it, but I don’t know that I would have started this project had I known what it’d require.