This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Scarpa - Maestrale Thermo
Posted: 16 April 2012 11:52 AM  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2009-11-09

Anyone using these in a tech binding. On paper they seem to be a good compromise. I have heard that they don’t work so well with tech binding due to an alignment issue with the toe inserts. Any alternative suggestions for a light, tech compatible boot, that skis reasonably well, also appreciated.
Thanks juice.

Posted: 16 April 2012 12:25 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

That’s interesting, I have a friend who bought a pair at the start of the season, I will have to ask him if he has had any problems but I don’t think so. He certainly had on issues when I last toured with him.

Posted: 16 April 2012 05:56 PM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-05-05

TLT5, or Titan Ultralight if you want something slightly beefier…

I bought a pair of Maestrales at the start of the winter & found them unskiable - had to use a massive A-frame just to keep skis flat, never mind do anything to them… closer inspection reveales the inserts in the toe are set at an angle (and closer inspection in a shop revealed this was of a variable amount from shell to shell (all in same size)) - a bit more detail on my blog here: http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.fr/2012/02/scarpa-maestrale-problems-possible.html

Long story short took them back to Jules in Cham & got some TLT5s instead - great boots, and amazing weight to performance ratio.

Posted: 17 April 2012 12:16 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

The TLT5 is a great boot, incredible movement when climbing. I’ll speak to my friend with the maestrals but I trust completely what you say about them.

ps regarding the dodgy submit button for posts, I spent some time looking at this but couldn’t find the answer, if you click preview before entering your text it then submits the message ok. Something I will work out fully over the summer period.

Posted: 17 April 2012 02:53 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-04-17

i bought some Maestrales this season following the advice from local guides in Tirol with whom we ski.  The local shop has sold 40+ pairs with positive feedback.  No issues with alignment (even though I am new to tech bindings), walk mode is very comfortable/flexible, and ankle strap makes skiing a doddle.  As a convert from a fritschi/Garmont set up I am very pleased.

Posted: 26 April 2012 11:39 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

The tongue design looked good although I worried about the durability of the hinges (they looked robust but light)