This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

SKI HOSTING
Posted: 03 February 2012 05:25 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2012-01-03

Apparently, according to a friend, ESF and or other authorities have clamped down on ski hosting activities of various companies in Tignes!

Mark Warner have not been stopped but others have. A law, as yet can’t find, in 2009 made these activities, even for package holidays, illegal!

Makes interesting reading and could be far reaching…

Posted: 05 February 2012 06:57 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Interesting, I’ve not heard anything about this but the ESF have never been too keen on the practice. If you find out what the law change was let me know, tia.

Posted: 24 February 2012 11:00 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-06-06

Last season i worked as a ski host in val disere and still have many friends in resort who do it. 2 of them go arrested by the gendarmes a couple of weeks ago. they were released after a couple of hours but if stopped again their passes would be taken away. the company has since stopped offering the ski hosting. i dont know if others have had this problem in val nearly all holiday companies offer it. the only thing is that they werent wearing marked ‘uniform’ like other companies, possibly the reason why ski school thought they were illegally teaching.

Posted: 25 February 2012 09:29 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2012-01-03

I did a couple of years as a ski host. One in uniform and one not.

The theory was that if it was part of your package holiday it was legal. It seems that this is not the case. France has a ‘federal’ ski qualification that allows non instructors to guide and teach clubs and schools but strictly non paid(voluntary). There are also rules about when I.e. school holidays or prescribed times during the school terms.

A ski host is being paid and I doubt has any qualifications to host and is utilised throughout the season. They fall down on all counts of the law. I don’t think that teaching comes into the equation....