News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Which larger Rucksack ?
Posted: 20 February 2012 08:42 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2010-11-03

Hi all,

I need a larger 40+ litre sack for a hut to hut tour which will involve unmanned huts this year.
Shortlist is the ortovox peak 42 though I am not sure it will last to long the ortovox haute route which I am not sure about the suitcase style zip opening.The Haglofs rando 48 Litre looks great but 1.95 kg ! Can the aluminium frame be removed ? I can not find a single user review of this pack and finally the osprey variant,stripping the frame out.Any advise on a good choice would be most helpfull.

Thanks

Regards Mark

[ Edited: 20 February 2012 08:53 PM by MarkyG]

Posted: 20 February 2012 09:48 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-10-02

Hi, Can’t comment on the packs you’ve mentioned but found myself trying to solve the same conundrum. I plumped for a CAMP M4+ and so far I’m pretty pleased with it. Its a traditional top loader but with a front pocket for probe & shovel and nifty zip panel in the back to access themain compartment. Its 40 litres but expands to 48 and comes with a crampon bag, drinking tube insulator and an integrated helmet carrier. Weighs in at 1150g. Only time will tell if the build quality is up to it but I’ve done a handful of day tours with it and so far so good.

http://walkhigh.co.uk/acatalog/Back_Packs.html

Good luck

Peter

Posted: 21 February 2012 07:56 AM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2006-01-24

I have an Osprey Mutant I use a lot and it’s really great sack. Osprey is my first choice currently.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’EpicĂ©a, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 21 February 2012 10:40 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

You don’t want a rucksack that is too heavy in itself. I have quite liked the Deuter sacks, good airflow on the back but would probably look at something from Decathlon these days. Maybe this

http://www.decathlon.fr/alpinism-55-ultralight-id_8137009.html