This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Salomon 912TI binding failure
Posted: 28 January 2012 07:18 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-12-11

I had Salomon 912 bindings on my skis on a recent trip I lost a brake I thought this strange, but I bought a new one on trying to fix it there was no purchase in the thin plate. I thought that it was now stripped due to too much torque so with a bolt and nut I set about dismantling the binding so the nut could be placed on the other side of the plate. Once the plate was free it became apparent why the binding had failed. It was because it cracked in numerous places on this occasion one crack had reached the fixing hole and fatality compromised the thread.

A new pair of binding were sourced and the skis are back in action but closer examination showed the cracks to be on the other binding as well and though the binding had not failed catastrophically the cracks had consumed 50% of the width of the plate.  I have images of the plate and I was wondering if others had similar occurrences with Salomon bindings. I have had 3 structural engineers look at the plate who all concur that the cracks are fatigue cracks.
I have measured the strains in a with new binding plate to work out what loads are in the plate when the boot releases at different setting theses all point to high stresses being generated in the plate over 2000 micro strain

From Wikipedia
Fatigue limit, endurance limit, and fatigue strength are all expressions used to describe a property of materials: the amplitude (or range) of cyclic stress that can be applied to the material without causing fatigue failure.[1] Ferrous alloys and titanium alloys [2] have a distinct limit, an amplitude below which there appears to be no number of cycles that will cause failure. Other structural metals such as aluminium and copper do not have a distinct limit and will eventually fail even from small stress amplitudes. In these cases, a number of cycles (usually 107) is chosen to represent the fatigue life of the material.
Has anyone else had a similar problem. Remembering if the binding did fail during a big fall that binding could have been cracked to a high degree beforehand.

[ Edited: 15 February 2012 10:50 PM by Southerscale]

Posted: 31 January 2012 02:28 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Can you post the pics? The TGR crowd don’t like the 912 and 914 due to them going out of adjustment resulting in pre-releases but I’ve not heard of the fatigue problems. If Ti that could happen, Al. suffers from the cold and work hardening too although alloys are usually ok.

Posted: 15 February 2012 10:52 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-12-11

How do I upload a image

Posted: 15 February 2012 11:39 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Just put them somewhere like Flickr or Picasa and link to them

Posted: 16 February 2012 10:51 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-12-11

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76790483@N07/

To see images, if you would like to see the graphs and data of the strains I have induced in the plate I will try and find another site