This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Marker Squire heel release
Posted: 31 January 2012 05:38 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-01-31

I have recently purchased new Marker Squire bindings and have doubts as to whether the heel pieces are functioning adequately. The shop has said it is just ice under the heel- however both my husband and I are pretty sure it is more than that. They are really hard to step into and when I fell forward at speed yesterday they didn’t release. The DIN settings are correct and the same as I have always used (ie 4 1/2 -low!) I have written my concerns to Marker- however I wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences. Is there an easy way of home testing the release function?

[ Edited: 31 January 2012 06:15 PM by davidof]

Posted: 31 January 2012 06:14 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

4.5 is low, especially if you have a sack on, so they should release quite easily. Some ski shops have gear to test binding release but if you give the boot a good hit from behind it should pop out - well thats what hire shop skimen do to test the release grin.

Hopefully someone who has your binding will be able to comment further.

Posted: 31 January 2012 06:28 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-01-31

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes.. well I know the setting is low- I have dodgy knees (doesn’t everyone over a certain age). I and my man have both tried the knockout test- to no effect.... so you have just confirmed my fears. We are based in France in the Savoie-does anyone have any advice as to where to go for some hands on independant inspection? I want to ski all this powder without visitng the hospital!

Posted: 31 January 2012 06:34 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

Can you tell me which bit of the Savoie (mountain range will do) ?

Posted: 31 January 2012 06:49 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-01-31

Near Moutiers in Beaufortain

Posted: 01 February 2012 02:17 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2008-02-05

I’ve had good technical service from:

Intersport / Bourg St Maurice (in the hypermarket space on the main road)

Au Vieux Campeur / Albertville (Junction 27 on the main dual carriageway)

Both are sizeable stores, but have savvy tech staff who like their touring.

Posted: 01 February 2012 02:22 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

Otherwise just past Albertville is ekosport (ekosport.fr) who have some good staff too.

Posted: 01 February 2012 07:57 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-01-31

Tried one post and think it got lost in ether…
Thanks for info- will be visiting one/some of shops. Need evidence to take back to purchase shop as today used my old skis and bindings and the difference/improvement was remarkable. another friend has found problems with same bindings- so will let forum know of outcome.

Posted: 02 February 2012 08:56 AM   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2005-02-26

Be sure to get it tested with a machine: then you will get a print with the findings. Don’t foget to bring your shoes as well!

Posted: 03 February 2012 08:19 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2012-01-03

Freiend also has had problems (more than once) - I put it down to his skiing but seems he might have a point. He did a free helicopter ride out of it though....

I’ll go and check his bindings for model name but Marker for sure…

Posted: 04 February 2012 12:32 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2012-01-03

MY friends is the Duke. He is 90 kilos and has them set to 9. I would say he is a very good skier probably a 8 out of 10.
Any info on these bindings appreciated....

Posted: 08 February 2012 08:51 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-01-31

Have been out of email contact a few days. during which time have had most success at ecosport at Frontonex. Have an appointment with them tomorrow to change the bindings to an old reliable pair I have already. No response from Marker yet (surprise surprise). In the shop all the technicians kept trying my step in on the heel piece and muttering knowingly to each other.
I am certainly no hotshot, but yet another female friend who is (pisteurs couloir etc regular) has also just purchased the same bindings and is having a hell of a job with them. God knows what will happen if she has a problem somewhere a bit extreme.
think this needs following up before someone gets injured or worse.
Tell the friend who had a problem to contact Marker and get his checked too.

Posted: 10 February 2012 11:30 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

I just bought some piste skis from Ekosport, they are very good, it is the second pair I’ve bought from them

Posted: 19 February 2012 12:53 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-01-31

Went back to Ekosport and they have been really helpful. Turns out the shop in Tignes where I had originally bought the skis and bindings had actually fitted them askew on the skis (!!!!)- so as well as being duff they were badly fitted. consequently I have obtained a full refund so am now searching for new skis and bindings (though obviously not Squire bindings). I will most certainly be getting Ekosport to fit everything together.
I have been advised most composite bindings are more prone to fracturing at very low temperatures- so will try to avoid those.

Posted: 04 March 2012 09:46 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

Was in EkoSport this week for more skis and they said you’d bought some K2s from them (I think). They described you as “charming”, you obviously made a good impression.