This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Goggles that don’t fog!!!
Posted: 26 January 2012 01:16 AM  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-01-26

Goggles that don’t fog, is there anything out there that actually works?

I have tried a few different brands now and styles but they always fog up!  Tried the HMR helmet with visor recently but that was poor.

Any recommendations welcome.

Posted: 26 January 2012 08:50 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

I have a couple of pairs - Uvex and Lidl! The Uvex cost about 80 euros and the Lidl ones 6 euros. Both have double screens and the Lidl ones look the sexiest. Out of the two it is the expensive Uvex that fog the least. My conclusion is that you have to spend a bit of money to get non-fog goggles, obviously the Uvex designers know a bit more about airflow than Lidl’s.

Obviously you can’t tour/climb with goggles on, you’d need a fan to keep them fog free in that case. You also need to be very careful to keep them dry in your sack. Make sure the case/cloth bag is not humid, don’t let snow fall on them. If you are off piste skiing and can get to a mountain restaurant the hot air dryers are very good for defogging and generally drying out goggles. Of course some people may consider hot air dryers as hygienic as having your goggles coughed on by a tramp.

Oh ignore the TGR folks, having a small gap between your hat or helmet (the gaper gap) can help airflow into the top vents as well as giving you that zebra stripe tan-line that will get you mocked in apres bars.

Posted: 26 January 2012 11:07 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-01-26

I used to have huge problems with fogging goggles. I tried everything, but the bottom line is that I’m too sweaty. I eventually came across some Smith goggles with a built-in extractor fan. Small amount of extra faff; have to carry a couple of spare AAA batteries in case they turn themselves on inside my rucksack, and it’s an extra thing to go wrong, but they have transformed my skiing in goggle conditions; if anything hppened to them I’d order another pair tomorrow.

Other downside is that you do tend to get teased by mates; if I have to use the “high” setting I get lots of jokes about angry wasps…

Posted: 26 January 2012 12:10 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-10-08

I’ve had similar problems, and it’s worse because I wear glasses. I’ve even had the inner lens of goggles, and both sides of my glasses lenses, steam up, then freeze, and high altitude. It’s like trying ski while looking through a frosted glass window. Not ideal when walking along Aiguille du Midi’s arete!
I agree that the basic problem is overheating, and it’s improved since I’ve stopped wearing a buff. I tend to wear wraparound sunnies instead of goggles whenever I can, because even if they steam up, they’re easier to wipe clear.
I’ve just bought a Smith integrated helmet and goggle system, which were guaranteed not to steam up. They were marginally better, but I think I might be claiming the guarantee and taking them back. I also had an expensive pair of Uvex OTG goggles, but didn’t find them good.
I’ve been thinking about helmets with visors too. Can you give more detail why they were unsatisfactory?

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:06 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-01-26

Thanks for all the info - really Lidl for goggles!

So the Smith Fan Goggles are good? I was looking to see what goggles are available, seems like Smith are the only ones to use electric fans.  A seen a small bolt on fan product by Haber but it didn’t have great reviews.

The helmet / visor solution was better for preventing fogging but it still did fog.  However, a major negative was the massive airflow into your eyes when you went at speed - it was very hard to keep your eyes open when going fast!!! I also took a power of abuse from my so called mates, they called me robocop.

Posted: 27 January 2012 09:01 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-01-26

Just found this product on the web not released yet but looks like the smith idea plus heat http://www.elk-sport.com they are looking for feedback and you can win a pair

I also found another pair of goggles from the far east but they only had heat

Posted: 29 January 2012 08:13 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-11-09

I get on well with a pair of Von Zipper goggles after some dreadful Oakley’s which didn’t work for me.

Posted: 30 January 2012 05:31 PM   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-10-29

I heard the Mammut helmet with intergrated visor is very effective, though I haven’t tried it. It’s quite expensive and so far, I’ve mostly seen them worn by wealthy skier from Russia.

http://www.movementskis.com/products/accessories/helmets/tracks/

Posted: 31 January 2012 12:44 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-01-31

I’ve had problems with foggy goggles for years. Recently I bought the Julbo Revolution Cameleon and so far they seem to perform better than my previous goggles I used. I’ve even skinned up a little bit in them and was surprised to not have them fog up. They are expensive though…

Posted: 31 January 2012 02:24 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

The other thing I do is keep a spare pair of goggles (hence the cheap Lidl pair) which I swap to when one gets steamed up - in the hope that the first pair can dry out with a bit of TLC

Posted: 01 March 2012 12:42 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-09-27

My favourite goggles have been Von Zipper Freenoms, i love them, they are really well priced and havent had any issues with them, plus the vision you get from them is awesome. i used to have Oakley Crowbars but after trying my friends freenoms instantly switched.

Signature 

Ski Courses

Posted: 29 March 2012 09:01 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-11-25

While I find that the cheapest and most hideous looking goggles do not steam as much as my Oakley or Bolle goggles that cost upwards of 150 and 100 CHFs respectively, I am intrigued by the Fan assisted goggles.

My biggest issue this year was hot breath and ski steam freezing at -20 degrees Celsius during my first significant ski touring experience. You cannot easily rub it off so it was in the coat and under the armpits to defrost - brrrr.

Signature 

Alpine skier, looking to start skinning.
Ski Reviews | Snowboard Reviews

Posted: 29 March 2012 09:04 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-11-25
alpanian - 30 January 2012 05:31 PM

I heard the Mammut helmet with intergrated visor is very effective, though I haven’t tried it. It’s quite expensive and so far, I’ve mostly seen them worn by wealthy skier from Russia.

Mammut? But you posted a link to Movement? I can’t see Mammut making a helmet with a visor.

I am always very wary of “accessories” produced by brands who make their money on other products. The Movement helmets being a classic example.

Signature 

Alpine skier, looking to start skinning.
Ski Reviews | Snowboard Reviews

Posted: 03 April 2012 01:59 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-04-03

After 35 years of fogging--I wear glasses under my goggles--I finally spent the money for the Smith Knowledge Turbos--with the fan.  They work.  With the fan on high they work on climbs even if I get lazy and overheat.  I have old fashioned glacier glasses with side screens for sunny days but the Turbos work better as far as fogging (and they’re better at keeping the wind out when I ski fast).