This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

GPS and beacons
Posted: 16 April 2008 10:02 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-09-09

Has anybody looked at whether devices like the GPS “super trackstick” will affect the performance of tranceivers, in the same way that mobile phones can?  I had a look at the FAQs on their web site but this issue isn’t mentioned. The idea of being able to export the trip data into google earth is attractive as they claim an accuracy of 2.5m.

Posted: 18 April 2008 10:20 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

Super Trackstick <http://www.trackstick.com/super_trackstick.htm> looks like a cool tool for people who want to record their ski trips. Or for potential Jack Bauers grin. I don’t know what effect it might have on beacons, it is a subject I revisited recently:-

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/digital-avalanche-transceivers-affected-by-mobile-phones/

The issue only affects the Searcher’s beacon not the victim’s.

From my tests it seems that single antenna digital output beacons suffer most from interference. We’ve found that mobile phones (passive not calling or contact a cell), LED headlamps and even Suunto watches can have an affect. However these types of beacons (Ortovox M2, ARVA 9000) are increasingly rare. Two and three antenna beacons are much better at screening out interference - I don’t know if this is down to more modern circuits or software or due to the number of antennas.

So I would say having a Super Trackstick on you when skiing would not pose any risk.

Posted: 22 April 2008 03:39 PM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2005-02-26

Although hard to proof, GPS are suspect of effecting beacon performance; keep it at least at 30-50 cm distance from your beacon! On the other hand: a Recco search device is capable of finding GPS’s (and mobile phones and camera’s, etc.)! But you’d probably have to wait for the rescue service and they might just come in a bit late....