This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Verbier avalanche 1st person video
Posted: 08 December 2011 09:48 PM  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-10-29

Someone posted this just a day ago. It is supposedly from back in feb in Verbier (although I don’remember powder falling last feb?!?). The skier gets caught in a slide, comes to a rest above the snow, but then gets buried by a further slide. Always chilling to see videos like these. Seems the relative slow speed of the slide is what allowed him to keep some breathing space in front of his face.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d4b_1323271150

(does the “embed” code not work in this forum?)

Posted: 09 December 2011 09:47 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-10-24

I used to have a javascript which did automagic embedding but it was based on a third party service that google bought and shut down !

thanks for the link btw. no shovels by the look of things, I don’t think he was 2 meters under the surface or they would not have dug him out so fast

[ Edited: 09 December 2011 09:54 PM by davidof]

Posted: 09 December 2011 10:50 PM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2006-01-24

I assumed there was either some surface trace or it was a fairly small slide although he was buried for about 5 mins. It looked to me like it could have been a single snowfall onto very little base.

Obviously the context primes you but it was pretty obvious what might happen once he hit the the wind feature.

Signature 

SwissMountainLeader.com & B&B L’EpicĂ©a, Leysin, Switzerland

Posted: 09 December 2011 11:26 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

Yes he took a different route down onto that loaded slope then the cornice, obviously skiing in the messy tracks wasn’t much to his liking. He was probably thinking about all those freeride movies where guys ski down those snow flutes.

Posted: 10 December 2011 02:55 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-24

Regarding the auto “embed”, it works ok for Youtube videos but not for liveleak. :-(