News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

ski touring
Posted: 07 December 2011 12:28 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-10-12

First post so hello to everyone.

Am a, mainly, piste skier (competent on all grades of runs) with a little off piste experience (guided), and am looking to find an entry into the world of ski-touring.  Does anyone have a recommend of a course/company who offer an introduction to the sport to allow me to gain experience first hand without necessarily having to go to the expensive of buying into all the kit straight away (still getting earache from the ex about the canyon mountain bike i bought this summer!!).  A long weekend duration would be ideal.

Cheers

S

Posted: 07 December 2011 12:58 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-10-15

Have a look at the Eagle ski club. Their a national club and they run intro courses and tours.

Posted: 07 December 2011 07:50 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-04-30

Check out Nick Parks and his team at Mountain Tracks

http://mountaintracks.co.uk/activity/ski-touring-skills

Posted: 08 December 2011 10:51 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-10-12

Thanks for the information, will check them out.

S

Posted: 08 December 2011 04:09 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2007-12-09

Hi, I agree, try the Eagles Club. They do tours for all abilitiies, though most are aimed at the mid range. They grade their tours with three factors, how energetic they are, how much mountaineering is involved and how good your skiing needs to be. Some tours are run by guides, who naturally charge professional fees, though others are run by very experianced team leaders, which tend to be much less expensive.
You can view the website and what tours are on offer for free.
Limited equipment is avaliable for hire, otherwise I’m affraid there are certain essentials you will have to bite the bullet and buy.
Don’t forget to check your insurance if going further than what many insurances class as off piste.
Hope this helps.