This is an archive of the old PisteHors.com forum

News | Gear | Ski Areas | Hiking | Mountain Biking
Powered by Google™

Motor insurance
Posted: 17 November 2011 05:48 PM  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-11-17

Does anyone know an insurer who will (a) provide cover for my UK registered car, whilst it is parked at a foreign airport (usually GVA or Innsbruck) and I am in the UK and (b) general overseas cover for longer than 60 days? It seems leaving your car at a UK airport while you are abroad is not a problem, but leaving it abroad while you are in the UK is - bizarre! Any help, particularly for point (a), would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted: 18 November 2011 03:08 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-01-02

All UK cover should include 3rd party within the EU for the duration on the policy. LV (Liverpool Victoria) does comprehensive cover for 180 days as optional extra. There are a couple of others that also do this length although can’t remember who.

I’m surprised if there is a particular exclusion written into policies for you flying back to the UK. If this is the case, then I am guessing that it would only apply to the comprehensive part, and that you should still be covered for 3rd party. If you have paid to park while you return to the UK then the car park owner MAY have a liability for any damage to your car while you are away. In the UK they would unless there is a specific clause that you are made aware of before you make the contract for parking. Can you elaborate on how you have been made aware that you are not covered while returning to the UK, and how the contract term reads please?

Posted: 18 November 2011 09:45 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2004-01-13

We use AXA via Stuart Collins (UK)01792 655562 - not sure about specific airport parking cover but unlimited full EU insurance I would’ve thought should cover it.

Posted: 29 November 2011 08:54 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2009-02-10

For those of us who are old enough, Saga insurance includes unlimited fully comprehensive european insurance as standard. I am not aware that there is an issue with leaving the car at an airport whilst back visiting the UK.